Praising batting ace Sachin Tendulkar, Selection Committee Chairman Krishnamachari Srikkanth today described his achievement of hundred international tons as something superhuman and cited him as a classic example for "thriving in an imbalanced world."
Srikkanth, an ardent admirer of Tendulkar, was addressing a seminar on'Thriving in an Imbalanced World' organised by CII (Confederation of Indian Industry) here.
Lauding Tendulkar on his historic feat, he said, "A classic example for thriving in imbalanced world is Sachin Tendulkar. In 1989, when I was the captain, he was just 16 years old..... Making a debut in Pakistan against Pakistan. And there was Imran Khan, Wasim Akram.... You call that a balanced world?"
"In his first match, he gets it on his mouth, bleeds through his mouth. He does not go back. Then, he continues to play. Then, he continues, continues, continues and (is still) continuing!" he said.
Describing the challenges Tendulkar had to go through, Srikkanth said he had scored against Australia,South Africa, England and West Indies under various conditions,"all imbalanced conditions" ranging from turning wickets in India, seaming and bouncy tracks in England and Australia besides West Indian fast bowlers.
Tendulkar's record is something superhuman, he said.
On India's recent disastrous tour down under, he defended his decision to play Virat Kohli in the test matches. He said after Sydney, people were saying Kohli was not fit for test cricket.
"..But what happened later? the next match he got 75, next test he got a 100," Srikkanth said, adding, he became the highest rungetter in the series. He also became the highest run-getter in the one-dayers, he added.
Observing that the game had such large following in the country,Srikkanth said each one (in the hall) was thinking they are like Tendulkar, captain, and chairman of selectors. "That is the problem. That is why the game will never die in India.
Tendulkar's Achievement Super Human : Srikkanth
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Kim Ji Hyun, Korean Coach Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- Should We Encourage Kuccha Receipts? Institutional Cleansing Part Of Improving Business Environment
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Live, Windies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2, North Sound, Antigua
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP