With mobile subscribers growing at the pace of over 15 million every month, the telecom sector is likely to witness huge investments to the tune of Rs five lakh crore in the next five years plans (2012-2017).
Of this, the two telecom PSUs -- BSNL and MTNL are expected to make investments to the tune of Rs one lakh crore during the five years to ramp up their telecom infrastructure.
Private players, on the other hand, are expected to invest Rs four lakh crore during the same period (2012-2017) in expanding their infrastructure.
This is contained in an internal note of the Department of Telecom which says the total investment in telecom infrastructure is pegged at Rs five lakh crore (USD 110 billion) during the 12th Plan period, starting April 2012.
The total number of telecom subscribers is projected to grow from the present 780 million to 1,200 million during the 12th Plan.
About 25 per cent (roughly 300 million) would be 3G/4G subscribers, which would require scaling up the infrastructure.
About Rs 2.85 lakh crore is estimated to be invested in rolling out greenfield 2G, 3G/4G and WiMax networks, while Rs 1 lakh crore would be required to set up an extra 200,000-odd telecom towers across the country.
The total investment in the pan-India broadband rollout is expected to be Rs 75,000 crore, while another Rs 40,000 crore will be invested in augmenting the transmission network.
Telecom Investments Pegged at Rs 5 L Cr in 2012-17
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- LJP Leader Ram Vilas Paswan Passes Away At The Age Of 74
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Spins Hyderabad To Big Win After Warner-Bairstow Show
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation: Mumbai Police
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Development Of Ladakh Troubles China: Anurag Thakur
- Hathras Case: Accused Claims Victim's Family Was 'Against Our Friendship'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- UP Police Violated SC Guidelines: Kerala Journalists Union
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Rashid Reflects On Scoreboard Pressure