PUCL secretary Kavita Srivastava, whose house was raided by Chhattisgarh Police, today alleged that she was targeted as she had led the movement for the release of rights activist Binayak Sen.
"I was at the forefront for the release of Sen. Since, then the Chhattisgarh police has a problem with me. Now Sen is out of jail so they have to put someone else inside," she told reporters here.
The right activist alleged that the raid was conducted by Chhattisgarh Police in collusion with the Rajasthan government.
"How did the Rajasthan government allow this? It's in collusion to threaten me," she claimed.
"Under what sections was my house searched? It was an illegal order. I will take legal action as my life and liberty has been threatened," she demanded.
Former president of People's Union of Civil Liberties (PUCL) Justice Rajinder Sachar said the raid comes at a time when Home Minister P Chidambaram himself was "indulging with Maoists".
"The Home Minister in a press conference sometime ago welcomed the Maoists for talks. Kavita's house is raided when Chidambaram himself is indulging the Maoists. Human rights defenders are in trouble," he said.
Srivastava's house was raided yesterday by Chhattisgarh Police in search of a woman allegedly involved in Maoist activities in Dantewada.
Targetted for Supporting Sen's Release: PUCL Secy
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- 'Have Lost Courage’: YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- As India Battles The Virus, Let Us Not Weaken National Resolve
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Sisodia Says ‘Heinous Crime To Export Vaccine When People Dying In India'
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- T20 World Cup Could Be Postponed Or Shifted From India: Ian Chappell