PUCL secretary Kavita Srivastava, whose house was raided by Chhattisgarh Police, today alleged that she was targeted as she had led the movement for the release of rights activist Binayak Sen.
"I was at the forefront for the release of Sen. Since, then the Chhattisgarh police has a problem with me. Now Sen is out of jail so they have to put someone else inside," she told reporters here.
The right activist alleged that the raid was conducted by Chhattisgarh Police in collusion with the Rajasthan government.
"How did the Rajasthan government allow this? It's in collusion to threaten me," she claimed.
"Under what sections was my house searched? It was an illegal order. I will take legal action as my life and liberty has been threatened," she demanded.
Former president of People's Union of Civil Liberties (PUCL) Justice Rajinder Sachar said the raid comes at a time when Home Minister P Chidambaram himself was "indulging with Maoists".
"The Home Minister in a press conference sometime ago welcomed the Maoists for talks. Kavita's house is raided when Chidambaram himself is indulging the Maoists. Human rights defenders are in trouble," he said.
Srivastava's house was raided yesterday by Chhattisgarh Police in search of a woman allegedly involved in Maoist activities in Dantewada.
Targetted for Supporting Sen's Release: PUCL Secy
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Disagree With Govt...But No Room For Pakistan To Interfere In Kashmir': Rahul Gandhi
- As Kashmir Lockdown Enters Day 24, SC To Hear Pleas On Scrapping Of Article 370 Today
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan Considering Complete Closure Of Airspace To India, Says His Minister
- BJP Leader Chinmayanand Booked After UP Girl, Now Missing, Accuses Him Of Harassment
- 'Cong Should Have Consulted Its FMs Before...': Sitharaman Reacts To 'Stealing' RBI Money Remark
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- ‘Cows Produce More Milk When Flute Played In Lord Krishna Style’: Assam BJP MLA
- 'Don't Demonise Modi' Not My Phrase...: Shashi Tharoor Hits Back At Critics
- Editors Guild Slams Press Council For Backing Media Ban In Kashmir
- 'Want To Do Skydiving Next,' Says The Man Whose Paragliding Video Has Internet In Splits
- Madrasa Teacher Beaten To Death In Delhi Over Argument On Price Of Headphone
- Kargil War Hero Impersonates Senior To Fly Amit Shah's Aircraft, Probe Ordered
- US Open: Sumit Nagal Goes Down Fighting Against Roger Federer
- Sindhu's World Gold Vs Saina's Olympic Bronze: Gopichand Has His Say