A Swiss radiology lab said today it has received the go-ahead from the widow of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat to test his remains for poisoning by polonium, a highly radioactive element.
"We are waiting for a formal, written letter from the lawyer before travelling to Ramallah" to carry out the probe, a spokesman for the lab at the Lausanne University Hospital Centre, Darcy Christen, told AFP.
"Time is of the essence, you could say it's a question of weeks, not months, because the traceability of polonium diminishes by half every 138 days," Christen said, noting that this has occurred 20 times since Arafat died aged 75 on November 11, 2004.
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas after a media investigation found elevated levels of polonium on some of Arafat's belongings, including clothing he wore before he died at a military hospital outside Paris.
A statement from French lawyers acting for Arafat's widow Suha Arafat and their daughter Zawra welcomed the authority's comments.
"We are glad that the position of the Palestinian Authority is to accept the exhumation of the body of Yasser Arafat," Pierre-Olivier Sur and Jessica Finelle wrote.
"However, we consider that this act of enquiry should be in coordination with the French investigating system... Which should appoint an investigating judge to conduct the necessary enquiries," the statement said, adding that such an appointment must be made "very quickly."
In the West Bank city of Ramallah, where Arafat is buried, Tawfiq Tirawi, head of the Palestinian committee probing his death, told AFP today that he had "not so far been officially informed" of a decision by the Swiss lab.
'Swiss Lab to Analyse Arafat Remains for Poisoning'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine