Congress has demanded an apology from BJP leader LK Advani for suggesting that adequate action to recover funds stashed away in Swiss banks was not taken by the UPA government.
A detailed reply of the Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and the earlier communication of the Finance Ministry to Advani's letter suggests that the saffron party was raising untenable issues, party spokesman Ashwani Kumar told reporters.
Kumar said Advani should offer an apology to the UPA government for suggesting that adequate action to recover funds in Swiss banks and the German LTG bank accounts was not taken.
To a query on what the government was doing to get the black money back to the country, Kumar said the government has been taking steps to get the ill-gotten money back to the country and will continue to do so.
The Congress also attacked the BJP for admitting controversial IAS officer Neera Yadav in the party saying it shows how sensitive the saffron party is to corruption and probity in public life.
"This has shown how sensitive BJP is to corruption and probity in public life. From Bangaru Laxman on tape to Tehelka and now to Neera Yadav is an unbeatable commitment to public and political morality...."
Kumar said, "A party which has scaled new heights in showing utter contempt for public sensitivity on corruption now seeks to claim high moral ground is a cruel joke on the people of India".
The spokesman also ridiculed the issue of security being raised by the BJP. "Stupor in Kargil, surrender in Kandahar and stalemate in operation Parakraman show that neither the BJP as a party nor its leadership are capable of firm and decisive action to secure national imperatives," Kumar said.
Swiss Banks Issue: Congress Demands Advani's Apology
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Highrises Of Nightmares! Why Coronavirus Will Extend Slowdown Period In Real Estate Sector
- India Still In Local Transmission Stage, Says Health Ministry On Coronavirus
- 175 People From Delhi's Nizamuddin Being Tested For Covid-19, Police Cordon Off Area
- Corona Silences Tamil Nadu’s Majestic Nadhaswarams
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled For July 23-August 8 In 2021
- Here's List Of Celebrities, Corporates And Ministers Who Donated To Fight Coronavirus
- Migrant Workers Sprayed With Chemicals, Bareilly DM Admits 'Mistake'
- Coronavirus: Delhi Govt To Promote Students Till Class 8 Without Exams
- Israeli PM Netanyahu Enters Quarantine After Aide Tests Positive For Covid-19
- Will Stray Animals Survive The Coronavirus Lockdown?
- From Salman To Akshay, Where Does Covid-19 Leave Bollywood Superstars?
- EXCLUSIVE | Simon Taufel Hails Virender Sehwag's Temperament, Humour