Swapan Guha, who was chosen for this year's Padma Shri award, is associated with bone china tableware sector for three decades and set up industrial units in three villages of Rajasthan providing employment to about 1200 local people.
This is the first time that someone from India's ceramic industry has won a Padma award.
A fellow of the Indian Institute of Ceramics, 55-year-old Guha, a graduate from Kolkata, started his career with Kerala Ceramics Ltd, a Kerala government undertaking, as a Research and Development Officer and then joined Bharat Potteries Ltd in Jaipur as Technical Advisor in 1988. This was the beginning of formation of bone china tableware manufacturing hub in Jaipur.
Later, he went on to become the CEO and Director (Works) at NCL Industries Ltd. Of Nagarjuna Group in Hyderabad as General Manager (Works) in their bone china and stoneware unit.
In 1995, Guha started a bone-china tableware unit named Jaipur Ceramics Pvt. Ltd at Rajawas village near Jaipur. JCPL is exporting its 60 per cent of its products to Australia, South Korea and European countries.
Employing over 700 labourers besides supervisors and senior staff, JCPL has uplifted a mass of villagers by providing them employment.
Guha has also undertaken several projects for providing jobs and educational opportunities for villagers of Rajawas, Jetpura and Govindgarh.
In 2002, Guha, started another project Hopewell Ceramics Pvt. Ltd., as the chairman of the company, for manufacturing of ceramic colours, glazes, etc in RIICO industrial area at village Jetpura and Kalpataru Ceraware Pvt. Ltd for manufacturing of high tension electrical insulators. These two units together provide employment to more than 500 local village people.
He is also the chairman of the Apex Committee for Technology vision 2020 Mission Project relating to rural technology.
Swapan Guha Fetches Indian Ceramics First Padma Shri
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Exit Polls Indicate Modi's Narrative Strikes A Chord With Indian Voters
- Exit Poll Results: Narendra Modi Projected To Return As PM; NDA Headed For Landslide Victory
- Exit Polls Predict Doom For Mahagathbandhan In Bihar
- BJP Has A Lot To Cheer As Exit Polls Predict Big Blow To Naveen Patnaik's BJD In Odisha
- Exit Polls Predict No Seat For PDP In Jammu & Kashmir
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Exit Polls Give BJP Clear Lead In Karnataka
- Oppn Parties Write To EC On PM Modi's Kedarnath Visit, Say Violation Of Poll Code
- 'Kamal Dabao Nahin Toh Thok Doonga': TMC Alleges Central Forces Of Intimidating Voters
- 'Serene And Spiritual', PM Modi Prays At Badrinath Temple, Meditates
- Spot-Fixing Scandal 2010: Afridi Claims He Confronted Three Tainted Pak Cricketers
- Farhan Akhtar Urges Bhopal To Vote Against Pragya Thakur, Gets His Dates Wrong
- Tej Pratap Yadav's Security Guards Beat Cameraperson, He Says 'Incident A Conspiracy To Murder Him'
- Yuvraj Singh: Is India's World Cup Hero And Celebrated All-Rounder Retiring?