Swami Vivekananda is an example of leadership qualities and charity, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said here today.
"Swami Vivekananda popularised the pride of Hinduism around the world. He taught self-respect and equality. Possessing extreme knowledge and will power, he was an example of leadership and charity," she said.
Above all, he was a great patriot who exhorted the youth to join him in his quest for national development, she said at the 150th anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda here.
Recalling from the Swami's life, she said his guru, Sri Ramakrishna
Paramahamsa, had shown him that service to people was divine.
Lauding the spiritual service rendered by Sri Ramakrishna Mission, founded by Swami Vivekananda after his guru's demise, she said that it was involved in serving the nation, people and God.
Jayalalithaa said even profit-oriented corporates earmark a part of their earnings towards social service these days.
"At the same time, there are some in this country who claim to be doing public service or being in public life but are selfish," she said without naming anybody.
Swami Vivekananda was a big inspiration for her even before she made her plunge into politics, she said, adding, that she had made a mention about him in an interview soon after joining politics.
"Swami Vivekananda did public service as an ascetic. On his footsteps, I have taken political renunciation to serve the people. I have no selfishness and I need nothing. I have no one. People of Tamil Nadu mean everything to me," she said.
She laid foundation stone for a Cultural Trust by Sri Ramakrishna Mission here and announced Rs two crore for it on behalf of the Tamil Nadu government.
Swami Vivekananda Example of Leadership Qualities: Jaya
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh