Swami Vivekananda is an example of leadership qualities and charity, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said here today.
"Swami Vivekananda popularised the pride of Hinduism around the world. He taught self-respect and equality. Possessing extreme knowledge and will power, he was an example of leadership and charity," she said.
Above all, he was a great patriot who exhorted the youth to join him in his quest for national development, she said at the 150th anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda here.
Recalling from the Swami's life, she said his guru, Sri Ramakrishna
Paramahamsa, had shown him that service to people was divine.
Lauding the spiritual service rendered by Sri Ramakrishna Mission, founded by Swami Vivekananda after his guru's demise, she said that it was involved in serving the nation, people and God.
Jayalalithaa said even profit-oriented corporates earmark a part of their earnings towards social service these days.
"At the same time, there are some in this country who claim to be doing public service or being in public life but are selfish," she said without naming anybody.
Swami Vivekananda was a big inspiration for her even before she made her plunge into politics, she said, adding, that she had made a mention about him in an interview soon after joining politics.
"Swami Vivekananda did public service as an ascetic. On his footsteps, I have taken political renunciation to serve the people. I have no selfishness and I need nothing. I have no one. People of Tamil Nadu mean everything to me," she said.
She laid foundation stone for a Cultural Trust by Sri Ramakrishna Mission here and announced Rs two crore for it on behalf of the Tamil Nadu government.
Swami Vivekananda Example of Leadership Qualities: Jaya
THE LATEST ISSUE
- End Of A Generation? Advani, Mulayam, Sonia, Deve Gowda's Political Career Fading Out
- Narendra Modi To Take Oath As PM For Second Term On May 30
- PM Modi Says Next 5 Years Are To Regain India's Lost Position In World
- The Importance Of Modi Goes Beyond Narrow Politics: Mahesh Rangarajan
- ICC CWC 2019, IND Vs PAK: Inzamam-ul-Haq Makes Huge Statement Ahead Of Big Clash
- How Can The Opposition Pick Itself Up From This Shattering Defeat?
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- Pak PM Imran Khan Calls PM Modi, Expresses Desire To Work Together
- Rafale Deal: No Question Of FIR Or CBI Probe, Centre Tells SC
- Aide Shot Dead, Smriti Irani Reaches Amethi, Shoulders Body To Cremation
- ICC CWC 2018: There Are At Least Five Clear Favourites, Says Legendary Jonty Rhodes
- Rahul Gandhi's Snub To Veteran Congress Leaders Who Put Sons Above Party Interest
- CBI Summons Ex-Kolkata Commissioner Rajeev Kumar In Saradha Chit Fund Scam
- Photo Of Newly Elected MP And His Former Boss Cross-Saluting Each Other Goes Viral
- What BJP's Win In Jammu Means For Kashmir Valley