A local court today remanded Swami Asimanand, an accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast case, in eight-day CBI custody till December 18.
The XIV Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court here allowed Swaminand's custody from tomorrow, though the investigation agency had requested permission to allow it to further interrogate him for an additional 15-day period.
Asimanand alias Naba Kumar Sarkar, who is presently under judicial custody till December 14, was arrested by CBI on November 19 from Haridwar in connection with the blast at the historic Mecca Masjid here on May 18, 2007.
Nine persons were killed in the explosion.
The court, earlier on November 26, had remanded the 59-year-old Asimanand in seven-day CBI custody.
CBI counsel P Vikram had contended that the accused had to be confronted with statements of other witnesses and documents as during the previous course of interrogation he did not reveal the facts due to his weak memory.
It was necessary to take him to Gujarat and other places for interrogation, he said.
The CBI also asked for custodial interrogation of the accused to elicit "conspiracy" between Asimanand and other accused in the blast case. However, the defence counsel had opposed police custody saying it would serve no purpose as Asimanand did not reveal any facts during interrogation.
After considering contention of both the parties, magistrate K Sudhakar today allowed the CBI petition saying it was necessary to confront the swami with the statements of other witnesses and documents.
He directed that the investigating officer should not use third degree method of investigation against the accused.
Swami Asimanand Sent to CBI Custody till Dec 18
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Finance Minister Announces Slew Of Measures To Boost Economy Amid Slowdown
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Kim Ji Hyun, Korean Coach Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- Should We Encourage Kuccha Receipts? Institutional Cleansing Part Of Improving Business Environment
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Live, Windies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2, North Sound, Antigua
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP