Surat Police Team to Go to London to Extradite Hanif

Surat Police Team to Go to London to Extradite Hanif
Surat police will send a team soon to London to facilitate extradition of Hanif Tiger, a key accused in the 1993 twin bomb blast in the diamond city, police said.

"Yes we will be soon sending a team of our officials to London," a senior official of Surat police told PTI.

Mohammed Hanif Umerji Patel alias Tiger (49), a key 1993 Surat terror bombing suspect, hunted by police worldwide for over 17 years, was arrested from a north England grocery store on February 16. He is in custody of London police.

The police official however did not clarify when the team will leave for London and who all will be a part of the team saying that the things are being worked out.

According to a senior officer of Gujarat police, there were two incidents of bomb blast in Surat city during the communal violence in the aftermath of the demolition of the Babri Masjid on December 6, 1992.

The first bomb blast took place on January 22, 1993 in Varacha area where a Russian-made hand grenade was used. A young girl was killed and 27 others were injured in the incident.

In the second incident on April 22, 1993, again a Russian-hand grenade was used to attack Surat railway station. Thirty-eight persons were injured in the incident.

Hanif Tiger was among the over two dozen accused in the case which also included former minister of state for fisheries Mohammad Surti.

During investigation, two AK-47 rifles and around 19 Russian-made hand grenades were recovered from various location in the city. Some of them were found in the locality of Chok Bazar where Hanif Tiger used to live.

State Additional Director General of Police Sudhir Sinha, had investigated the case in 1993.

In October 2008, former minister in state government Mohammad Surti and four others --Hussain Ghadiyali, Iqbal Vadiwala, Mustak Patel and Yusuf Dadu-- were sentenced for 20 years imprisonment for the 1993 bomb blasts in Surat.

Special Tada court judge R P Dholadia has also slapped fine of Rs two lakh each on the five.

Seven others were sentenced for 10 years imprisonment, while one was acquitted.

Around 160 witness had deposed before the TADA court in the blast case.
Next Story : IT Department to Also Probe Funds Received by BSP
Download the Outlook ​Magazines App. Six magazines, wherever you go! Play Store and App Store
  • NEWS
Online Casino Betway Banner