Filmmaker Karan Johar says establishing a romantic track between Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan is always easy because of the crackling chemistry the duo share on-screen.
"I deleted ten minutes of the screenplay which was devoted to the process of the two characters Mandira and Rizwan played by Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan respectively falling in love," Karan told PTI.
"Seeing them together, the audience is convinced that the two are in love," he said.
"I would not think of anybody else except SRK and Kajol for the role of Rizwan and Mandira. They look beautiful together and their chemistry is difficult to explain in words."
"It is not common for a neurotpyical (normal) person like Mandira to be in love with a man with Asperger Syndrome or autistic disorder like Rizwan. But with them playing those characters, it is easy to explain their falling in love. I did not need to waste screen time," the director, who has previously directed the pair in 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' and 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Ghum' said.
Karan said working with Kajol after eight years, he realised how much I missed her. "Her presence before the camera is very impact full. Her face is like a light bulb. Every emotion, her inner feelings are seen on her face. There is not a single false note."
Karan said he would have been shattered if Kajol had refused his film. "Kajol is a mother before being a wife and an actress. Her maternal instincts are very strong. Only a mother in real life could have portrayed Mandira effectively," he said.
"I prayed for Nysa's (Kajol and Ajay Devgan's daughter) good health when Kajol was shooting with me. She would not have shot for the film if her child was unwell because she is a very passionate mother," Karan said.
Describing 'My name...' as his coming of age movie, the filmmaker, known for his elaborate romantic dramas, said, "When you are younger, you create films with the backdrop of an atmosphere which you know and are comfortable in.
'My Name...' is the outcome of my three years of travel across the globe and the prevailing thoughts and perceptions on different issues," he said.
Karan said he came across some very touching stories while interacting with several Islamic rights organisations 'My Name...' is a fictional story around true facts," he said.
"It is Rizwan Khan's story which stretches from the time he was four years old to 40 years of age. The movie is not about religion, but of a human being who can belong to any religion," he said.
Karan said his latest film has nothing to do with terrorism.
"9/11 is a small part of My Name is Khan. The story highlights what is happening around the world. But, the emotional love story is foremost and there is no influence of terrorism," Karan said.
When asked about a line in SRK's dialogue -- "My name is Khan and I am not a terrorist", Karan said, "It is a simple but a loaded line. You will understand the context when you see the film," he said.
To a question whether it was necessary to make Rizwan's character affected with a disorder, Karan said because of his simplicity and endearing quality, Rizwan Khan can go to any extent to win back his love.
"There is complete normalcy in the relationship of Mandira and Rizwan, Rizwan does not understand complicated issues and takes things literally," he added.
SRK-Kajol Chemistry Makes Job Easy: Karan Johar
THE LATEST ISSUE
- West Bengal Doctors Call Off Week-Long Strike After Meeting CM Mamata Banerjee
- IED Attack On Army Convoy In Pulwama Of Jammu And Kashmir
- Will Kerala MP K Suresh Lead Congress In Lok Sabha If Rahul Gandhi Says No?
- Watch: Actor-Singer Palash Sen Calls Doctors Across India To 'Halla Bol' Against Violence
- CWC 2019, BAN Vs WI: Bangladesh Off To Steady Start In Pursuit Of 322
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- LS Polls In J&K: Uncles, Aunties And Engineer Rasheed
- Army Major Killed, 3 Jawans Injured In Gunfight With Militants In J&K's Anantnag
- First Session Of 17th Lok Sabha Begins, PM Modi, Newly-Elected Members Take Oath
- Tax Evaders Beware! No Escape By Just Paying Penalty From Today
- TV Reporter Confronts BJP 'Leader' Who Entered ICU Wearing Shoes, Wins Praise On Internet
- 'It Talks About Power Of Universalism And Liberalism': Kapil Dev On His Book 'We The Sikhs'
- Bihar: 100 Children Die Due To Suspected Acute Encephalitis, Harsh Vardhan Visits Families
- Kolkata Man's Live Stunt In Hoogly River Turns Fatal, Drowns
- Watch: This Pakistani Cricket Fan Has Some Incredible Ideas For His Team, Sarfaraz Ahmed