Filmmaker Karan Johar says establishing a romantic track between Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan is always easy because of the crackling chemistry the duo share on-screen.
"I deleted ten minutes of the screenplay which was devoted to the process of the two characters Mandira and Rizwan played by Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan respectively falling in love," Karan told PTI.
"Seeing them together, the audience is convinced that the two are in love," he said.
"I would not think of anybody else except SRK and Kajol for the role of Rizwan and Mandira. They look beautiful together and their chemistry is difficult to explain in words."
"It is not common for a neurotpyical (normal) person like Mandira to be in love with a man with Asperger Syndrome or autistic disorder like Rizwan. But with them playing those characters, it is easy to explain their falling in love. I did not need to waste screen time," the director, who has previously directed the pair in 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' and 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Ghum' said.
Karan said working with Kajol after eight years, he realised how much I missed her. "Her presence before the camera is very impact full. Her face is like a light bulb. Every emotion, her inner feelings are seen on her face. There is not a single false note."
Karan said he would have been shattered if Kajol had refused his film. "Kajol is a mother before being a wife and an actress. Her maternal instincts are very strong. Only a mother in real life could have portrayed Mandira effectively," he said.
"I prayed for Nysa's (Kajol and Ajay Devgan's daughter) good health when Kajol was shooting with me. She would not have shot for the film if her child was unwell because she is a very passionate mother," Karan said.
Describing 'My name...' as his coming of age movie, the filmmaker, known for his elaborate romantic dramas, said, "When you are younger, you create films with the backdrop of an atmosphere which you know and are comfortable in.
'My Name...' is the outcome of my three years of travel across the globe and the prevailing thoughts and perceptions on different issues," he said.
Karan said he came across some very touching stories while interacting with several Islamic rights organisations 'My Name...' is a fictional story around true facts," he said.
"It is Rizwan Khan's story which stretches from the time he was four years old to 40 years of age. The movie is not about religion, but of a human being who can belong to any religion," he said.
Karan said his latest film has nothing to do with terrorism.
"9/11 is a small part of My Name is Khan. The story highlights what is happening around the world. But, the emotional love story is foremost and there is no influence of terrorism," Karan said.
When asked about a line in SRK's dialogue -- "My name is Khan and I am not a terrorist", Karan said, "It is a simple but a loaded line. You will understand the context when you see the film," he said.
To a question whether it was necessary to make Rizwan's character affected with a disorder, Karan said because of his simplicity and endearing quality, Rizwan Khan can go to any extent to win back his love.
"There is complete normalcy in the relationship of Mandira and Rizwan, Rizwan does not understand complicated issues and takes things literally," he added.
SRK-Kajol Chemistry Makes Job Easy: Karan Johar
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh