Speedster S Sreesanth will return home with a knee injury and Munaf Patel will replace him in the Indian team for the Test series against Sri Lanka, the Cricket Board said today.
"S Sreesanth has sprained a ligament of his left knee, and been advised rest for 3-4 weeks. He will accordingly be returning to India," BCCI Secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"The All-India Selection Committee has picked Munaf Patel as his replacement in the Indian team that will be playing the Test series in Sri Lanka. Munaf will join the squad at the earliest," he added.
Sreesanth was ruled out after an MRI scan today revealed he has a ligament tear, a development which has come as a big blow for the India's already depleted pace attack in absence of spearhead Zaheer Khan who is nursing a shoulder injury.
With Sreesanth too being ruled out, Ishant Sharma would have to lead the pace attack, which also includes Zaheer's replacement Abhimanyu Mithun.
Meanwhile, it was probably the best birthday gift for Munaf, who turned 27 today.
The lanky Ikhar-born Mumbai pacer has played 12 Tests so far, his last being the match against New Zealand in Wellington last year.
India are scheduled to play a three-day warm-up match against Sri Lanka Board President's XI here from tomorrow.
Sreesanth to Return Home, Munaf Named Replacement
THE LATEST ISSUE
- So Where Will Assam's 'Illegal Immigrants' Go? Government Says NRC Not Death Knell
- No Relief For Chidambaram, Supreme Court Terms Bail Plea In CBI Case 'Infructuous'
- BSP Chief Mayawati Slams Rahul Gandhi, Opposition Leaders For Kashmir Visit
- Government Sacks 22 More Tax Officers For Graft, Misconduct
- G7 Summit: Spotlight On Kashmir, Trade During Modi-Trump Talks
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- '... Buried His Party In Grave,' J&K Guv Hits Back At Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury
- Trump Says US-China Trade Talks 'To Start Very Shortly'
- Former PM Manmohan Singh Loses SPG Cover, To Get Z+ Security
- Watch: 'Who Can Oppose Modi Ji? Even You (Media) Cannot...,' Says BJP's Rajasthan MP
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Lethal Jasprit Bumrah Unleashes His Latest Weapon - The Outswinger
- Hosts Must Take Inspiration From Stokes - Root
- Amrapali Case: Forensic Audit Report To Be Given To ED, Delhi Police, ICAI, Directs SC