Tibetan spiritual leader Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje has been summoned by a court in Una district in connection with the foreign currency seizure case.
Karmapa has been asked by CJM court to appear on March 6, ADGP Dharamsala, S R Mardi said today adding that there has been no confirmation about receipt of the summon from his office yet.
Karmapa's office, however, has denied allegations that the leader refused to accept the summon, claiming that he is in Bodh Gaya till second week of March.
"It is wrong and improper to say that he (Karmapa) has refused to receive the summons and the fact is that he is not in Dharamsala for more than past fifteen days," an official at Karmapa's office said.
Police had filed charge-sheet against Karmapa and nine others, including his close aide Rubgi Chosang in December last year after a huge haul of Indian and foreign currency worth Rs 70 million (over USD 1 million) was recovered from his monastery near Dharamsala in January last year.
Currency of 26 countries including 1,20,197 Chinese yuan and Indian currency worth about Rs 5.3 million was recovered in a raid from the Gyuto Tantric University and Monastery in Dharamsala, 20 kilometres from Dalai Lama's seat Mcleod Ganj.
The raids were conducted following interrogation of two persons who were held with unaccounted money worth Rs 1 crore.
They had revealed that the money was meant for land purchase by the Karmae Garchen Trust, which is headed by the Karmapa.
Spiritual Leader Karmapa Summoned in Currency Case
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly