Stepping up the war of words, the SP today accused Congress leader Digvijay Singh of insulting Sanjay Dutt's wife Manyata after the party declared that it will field her in place of the actor from Lucknow in case he does not get clearance from court.
"I would like to tell Digvijay Singh that Manyata is the daughter-in-law of late Sunil Dutt and Nargis Dutt. She is the wife of actor Sanjay Dutt," SP leader Amar Singh told reporters here.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh had reportedly feigned ignorance on Manyata's identity, asking "who is Manyata?". On being told about her, he is said to have commented, "...Oh Sanjay Dutt's wife!"
"I have never said who is Lakshman Singh? ... Oh Digvijay Singh's brother who is in BJP! I have never said who is Sanjay Nirupam? ... Oh the former Shiv Sena leader who had abused Sunil Dutt and the late actor had filed a defamation case against him," Amar Singh said today.
"The same Nirupam is now a Congress leader. If I start retorting like Digvijay Singh, then it would cause a lot of pain to him," said Singh, who had earlier accused Digvijay of terming Mulayam Singh Yadav as a backstabber in presence of Rahul Gandhi.
Digvijay Singh, however, refuted the comments attributed to him and claimed that he had never said anything to insult the SP chief or others.
"I respect Mulayam Singh Yadav ji and I am grateful to SP that they have expressed faith in the ledership of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh," he said.
SP Attacks Digvijay for 'Insulting' Manyata
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Down, Down, Down! Why Coronavirus Will Lockdown Indian Stock Market Indefinitely
- Coronavirus Outbreak Live Updates: 'Save Yourself, Save Your Family', Says PM Modi; Death Toll Reaches 8
- Coronavirus: No Trains, Metros, Interstate Buses; India Wakes To Empty Streets Amid Lockdowns
- 'Please Save Yourself': PM Modi Asks People To Follow Rules To Battle Coronavirus
- Trading Halted For 45 Minutes As Sensex Sinks 10% Over Coronavirus Jitters
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: Worldwide Deaths Cross 13,000, Italy Worst Hit; India Swings Into Action
- Modi Thanks People For Expressing Gratitude Towards Those Fighting Covid-19
- Coronavirus: Railways Suspends All Passenger Trains From March 22-31
- Private Firm Employees To Get Salaries During Delhi Lockdown: Kejriwal
- Petrol Bomb Hurled Near Shaheen Bagh Anti-CAA Protest Site
- Italy's Coronavirus Death Toll Rises By 793 In Biggest Single-Day Jump
- COVID-19: Premier League, NBA, F1 – When Is Sport Aiming To Return?
- Decision Regarding Postponement Of Olympics To Be Taken In 4 Weeks: IOC