The Indian Navy today said the South China sea is an area of "significant concern" and developments there will have global implications.
"We are seeing edginess in relations between countries of this region. The potential for conflict in South China Sea and instability in Korean Peninsula have heightened awareness of analysts to region's shortcomings in terms on institutional arrangements to resolve potential crises. The South China Sea is an area of significant concern," Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma said at a seminar on national security.
The Navy Chief's statement comes in the backdrop of an incident where Beijing had objected over oil exploration in two Vietnamese blocks in the South China Sea by India's ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL).
In another incident, an Indian Navy warship was also warned by an unknown source over radio transmission set to move out of the South China sea.
Addressing the gathering, Verma said leaders of Chinese and Vietnamese communist parties met last month on the issue and have resolved to work together to solve their territorial disputes in South China sea.
"Developments in the South China Sea and the outcomes will have major implications not only for countries in the region but for the world at large, as many nations have considerable economic interests in the region," he said.
Verma said that the countries in the region should brainstorm on structure and content of security architecture that would offer a 'best fit' to promote peace and stability.
"Ready-made solutions do not exist and that it may not also be feasible to borrow an existing arrangement functioning in another region to be applied in the Asia-Pacific," he said.
South China Sea an Area of Concern: Navy Chief
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly