The Indian Navy today said the South China sea is an area of "significant concern" and developments there will have global implications.
"We are seeing edginess in relations between countries of this region. The potential for conflict in South China Sea and instability in Korean Peninsula have heightened awareness of analysts to region's shortcomings in terms on institutional arrangements to resolve potential crises. The South China Sea is an area of significant concern," Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma said at a seminar on national security.
The Navy Chief's statement comes in the backdrop of an incident where Beijing had objected over oil exploration in two Vietnamese blocks in the South China Sea by India's ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL).
In another incident, an Indian Navy warship was also warned by an unknown source over radio transmission set to move out of the South China sea.
Addressing the gathering, Verma said leaders of Chinese and Vietnamese communist parties met last month on the issue and have resolved to work together to solve their territorial disputes in South China sea.
"Developments in the South China Sea and the outcomes will have major implications not only for countries in the region but for the world at large, as many nations have considerable economic interests in the region," he said.
Verma said that the countries in the region should brainstorm on structure and content of security architecture that would offer a 'best fit' to promote peace and stability.
"Ready-made solutions do not exist and that it may not also be feasible to borrow an existing arrangement functioning in another region to be applied in the Asia-Pacific," he said.
South China Sea an Area of Concern: Navy Chief
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Battle It Out At The US Vice Presidential Debate
- ‘India’s Coronavirus Fight Is People Driven,’ Says PM Modi
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay HC Grants Her Bail
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History