As violence in Manipur and Assam continued unabated, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said situation in the North-Eastern states was far from comfortable.
"The situation in the North-Eastern parts of our country is far from comfortable. In two of the states, Manipur and Assam, current levels of violence give us cause for concern," he told a conference of Directors General and Inspectors General of police organised by Intelligence Bureau.
The Prime Minister said extortion and intimidation have become a menace across most of the states in the region.
"It should be possible, I believe, to bring about a substantial improvement in the situation if there can be better security management," he said.
Asking the DGPs of the North-Eastern states to insist on and achieve higher levels of professionalism from the forces they command, the Prime Minister said "firm but compassionate handling of law and order matters, can certainly bring about substantial improvement in the prevailing state of affairs".
Situation in North-East Far from comfortable: PM
THE LATEST ISSUE
- INX Media Case: Chidambaram's Plea Against Arrest Not Listed In Supreme Court
- Government Sacks 22 More Tax Officers For Graft, Misconduct
- G7 Summit: Spotlight On Kashmir, Trade During Modi-Trump Talks
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- So Where Will Assam's 'Illegal Immigrants' Go? Government Says NRC Not Death Knell
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- Former PM Manmohan Singh Loses SPG Cover, To Get Z+ Security
- Out On Bail, 7 Accused In Lynching Cop In Bulandshahr Welcomed With Garlands
- PM Modi Meets Boris Johnson At G-7 Summit; Discusses Bilateral Ties, Security
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Hosts Must Take Inspiration From Stokes - Root
- Driver Killed In Kashmir As Protesters Hurl Stones At Truck Mistaking It For Police Vehicle
- Rahane, Bumrah Torment Windies As India Seal First Test In Clinical Fashion