As violence in Manipur and Assam continued unabated, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said situation in the North-Eastern states was far from comfortable.
"The situation in the North-Eastern parts of our country is far from comfortable. In two of the states, Manipur and Assam, current levels of violence give us cause for concern," he told a conference of Directors General and Inspectors General of police organised by Intelligence Bureau.
The Prime Minister said extortion and intimidation have become a menace across most of the states in the region.
"It should be possible, I believe, to bring about a substantial improvement in the situation if there can be better security management," he said.
Asking the DGPs of the North-Eastern states to insist on and achieve higher levels of professionalism from the forces they command, the Prime Minister said "firm but compassionate handling of law and order matters, can certainly bring about substantial improvement in the prevailing state of affairs".
Situation in North-East Far from comfortable: PM
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India To Return Chinese Soldier Who 'Strayed' Across LAC
- As Everything Goes Virtual In Pandemic, So Does Dating
- Kashmir Parties Rally Behind Farooq Abdullah After ED Summons
- Medical Insurance Companies Wash Their Hands Off Covid Claims
- Struggling Chennai, Rajasthan Eye Win To Keep Hopes Alive
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Kerala HC Dismisses State Govt's Plea Against Lease Of Trivandrum Airport
- Reforms Being Introduced In All Sectors To Ensure Growth: PM Modi
- Pandals In Bengal To Be No-Entry Zones For Visitors, Orders Calcutta HC
- Six-Year-Old Accused Of 'Sexual Assault' In UP’s Aligarh
- Bollywood Is Not A Welfare State: Pankaj Tripathi
- Indian-American Teen Wins $25,000 Prize For Potential COVID-19 Treatment
- Anil Kumble Effect: For Kings XI Punjab, It's About Process, Not Result
- Super Super Over Win For Punjab Is Poetic Justice For KL Rahul