As violence in Manipur and Assam continued unabated, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said situation in the North-Eastern states was far from comfortable.
"The situation in the North-Eastern parts of our country is far from comfortable. In two of the states, Manipur and Assam, current levels of violence give us cause for concern," he told a conference of Directors General and Inspectors General of police organised by Intelligence Bureau.
The Prime Minister said extortion and intimidation have become a menace across most of the states in the region.
"It should be possible, I believe, to bring about a substantial improvement in the situation if there can be better security management," he said.
Asking the DGPs of the North-Eastern states to insist on and achieve higher levels of professionalism from the forces they command, the Prime Minister said "firm but compassionate handling of law and order matters, can certainly bring about substantial improvement in the prevailing state of affairs".
Situation in North-East Far from comfortable: PM
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 24 More Who Attended Religious Gathering At Delhi's Nizamuddin Test Positive For Coronavirus
- Why India Needs Social Safeguarding Measures To Protect Marginalised In Time Of Corona
- No New Coronavirus Cases In Ladakh In 12 Days As Lockdown, Isolation Continue
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Maharashtra Case Count Reaches 230; 17 More Test Positive In MP
- How Is Tendulkar Handling COVID-19? 'Time To Accept, Adapt' Says Little Master In Exclusive Diary
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Those In Home Quarantine In Karnataka Directed To Send Selfies Every Hour To Govt
- Govt Identifies 10 Coronavirus Hotspots As Positive Cases Surge
- 'Helps Reduce Stress And Anxiety': PM Modi Shares Video Of Yoga Asan
- Six Who Attended Religious Gathering In Delhi Die Due Of Covid-19 In Telangana
- IPL Team Owners Have Discussed Staging Games Behind Closed Doors
- COVID-19 Could Throw Millions Of Asians Into Poverty: World Bank
- COVID-19: Rohit Donates INR 80 Lakh