International shooter Jaspal Rana today quit BJP and joined Congress and is likely to be one of the party's key campaigners in poll-bound Uttarakhand.
35-year-old Rana's admission into the party was approved by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi amid reports that the ace shooter and Asian Games gold medalist was sulking in BJP over denial of ticket in the Assembly polls.
Rana had unsuccessfully contested as BJP candidate from Tehri constituency in the state against Vijay Bahuguna of Congress in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Despite being in power in the hill state, BJP had drawn a blank there failing to win any of the five Lok Sabha seats.
A close relative of former BJP President Rajnath Singh, Rana was said to be upset with the party high command after his name did not figure in the list of BJP nominees for the 70-member Assembly.
The announcement of Rana's admission in the Congress was made by AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi.
Congress General Secretary Birender Singh, who is in charge of party affairs in Uttarakhand, said Rana would be one of the key campaigners for the party in the state.
Shooter Jaspal Rana Quits BJP, Joins Cong
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- Live Badminton Score, World Championships: Sindhu Edges Closer To Victory Vs Okuhara
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians, Had No Second Thoughts. But Now Govt Has Changed Everything.’
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Nothing More 'Anti-National' Than Shutting Down Of Democratic Rights In Kashmir: Priyanka Gandhi
- '..Our Voice Being Taken Away,': IAS Officer Hailed During Kerala Floods Quits
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- Ashes Live, 3rd Test: Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow Keep England Alive
- PM Modi Reveals How Bear Grylls Conversed With Him In Hindi In 'Man Vs Wild' Special Episode
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- Trump Hails British PM As 'Right Man' For Brexit, Hints At 'Very Big US-UK Trade Deal'