International shooter Jaspal Rana today quit BJP and joined Congress and is likely to be one of the party's key campaigners in poll-bound Uttarakhand.
35-year-old Rana's admission into the party was approved by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi amid reports that the ace shooter and Asian Games gold medalist was sulking in BJP over denial of ticket in the Assembly polls.
Rana had unsuccessfully contested as BJP candidate from Tehri constituency in the state against Vijay Bahuguna of Congress in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Despite being in power in the hill state, BJP had drawn a blank there failing to win any of the five Lok Sabha seats.
A close relative of former BJP President Rajnath Singh, Rana was said to be upset with the party high command after his name did not figure in the list of BJP nominees for the 70-member Assembly.
The announcement of Rana's admission in the Congress was made by AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi.
Congress General Secretary Birender Singh, who is in charge of party affairs in Uttarakhand, said Rana would be one of the key campaigners for the party in the state.
Shooter Jaspal Rana Quits BJP, Joins Cong
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Pall Of Gloom Envelopes Congress HQ; Disbelief And Cautious Optimism Among Leaders
- Of Same-Sex Relationships And Social Mindsets: Why India Needs More Dutee Chands
- TDP Chief Naidu, Mamata Discuss Formation Of Non-BJP Govt With Congress Support
- After Exit Polls, Mayawati Meets Akhilesh, But No Meeting With Congress
- TMC Office Wears Deserted Look Day After Exit Polls Paint Bengal Saffron
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- BJP Wants Kamal Nath Govt To Prove Majority, Writes To Governor
- Buoyed By Exit Polls, BJP Workers Gear Up For Celebrations On May 23
- Exit Polls Not Final Results, But Indicate BJP Will Come To Power: Nitin Gadkari
- After Game Of Thrones Finale, Here's What Delhi Metro Tells Commuters
- Vivek Oberoi's Exit Poll Meme Involves Aishwarya, Salman And Abhishek; Sparks Row
- Will Observe Maun Vrat To Atone For Hurtful Remarks, Says Pragya Singh Thakur
- Though Exit Polls Are Favourable, DMK's Stalin Says Will Wait For May 23
- Delhi Lok Sabha Poll Results May Get Delayed By 5-6 Hours: CEO