Shiv Sena today hailed Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi for protecting himself from 'topi-kand' (cap-scam) by refusing to don an 'Imami cap' offered by a Muslim clergy during his three-day 'Sadbhavana Mission' fast.
"One Imam came on the podium and offered Modi a (skull) cap, but Modi refused to wear it. He deserves kudos for preventing this 'topi-kand' in front of cameras," the party mouthpiece Saamna said in an editorial, which derided Congress leaders for adopting a policy of appeasement of minority community.
It said, there was no need to prove secular credentials by going overboard to appease Muslims in the country and criticised Congress leaders for donning skull caps during Iftar parties.
"If Modi sticks to this line, his Delhi bound horse can race along the Rajpath in Delhi," the paper commented.
However, even though the party is praising the Gujarat chief minister for the cap episode, just two days ago, it had criticised him for trying to project a secular image of himself. The party had said that the Modi shot to power by the Hindu vote bank and he should not give them "poison of secularism" in his battle for "gaddi" in Delhi.
The Shiv Sena patriarch, BJP's oldest ally, had also asked Modi not to forget that after Maharashtra, Gujarat was the laboratory of Hinduism and had said whatever he was today, it was because of Hindu vote bank.
Modi was on a three-day fast in Gujarat capital for "peace, unity and communal harmony". The fast ended on Monday.
Shiv Sena Praises Modi for Not Wearing Skull-Cap
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly