Barely hours after refusing the Padmashri conferred on him this year, eminent poet Acharya Janaki Ballabh Shastri agreed to accept it.
Shastri agreed to accept the honour following requests by his well-wishers and admirers, one of his family members said.
Earlier, when approached for his comments Shastri had said "I had refused the gesture of awarding me the Padmashri way back in 1994 ... It doesn't carry any meaning for me at this stage and age."
"My disciples and younger generation deserve the award more than I do," the octogenarian poet had said.
Acharya Shastri is the author of many well-known stories, novels, plays, essays, gazals, songs and biography in Hindi besides being a critic. His famous works include 'Roop Aaroop', 'Teer Tarang', 'Meghgeet', 'Pashani', 'Tamsa' and 'Iravati'.
He has been conferred with various awards like Rajendra Shikhar Samman, Bharat Bharati Award and Shivpujan Sahay Award.
Besides Shastri, noted dancer Hari Uppal and well-known orthopaedic surgeon R N Singh have been conferred the Padma award from Bihar this year.
Shastri Agrees to Accept Padma Shri
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Why Dalits And Elite Castes Are Unhappy With BJP In Gwalior-Morena
- Rajasthan Polls: Congress Fields Jaswant Singh’s Son Manvendra Against Vasundhara Raje
- 'After He Has Gone, We Have Only Him To Talk About': Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan's Parents
- Chidambaram Hits Back At Modi, Lists Non-Gandhi Congress Presidents
- Sabarimala Row: Shutdown In Kerala After Late Night Arrest Of Hindu Woman Leader
- How Calcutta Women Used Humour To Handle Harassment Before #MeToo
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- India Seeks To Buy MH 60 Romeo Seahawk Choppers From US For $2 Billion
- Ad Guru And Theatre Personality Alyque Padamsee Dies At 90
- Facebook Investors Want Mark Zuckerberg To Resign
- Longewala Battle Hero Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chandpuri Dies At 78
- After Naidu, Mamata Bans CBI Probe In West Bengal Without Consent
- Amazon Will Go Bankrupt One Day, We Need To Delay That Day: CEO To Employees
- India Will Have An Edge With S-400 To Protect Its Territorial Integrity, Says Air Marshal Nambiar
- #ThisIsNotConsent: Why Women Are Tweeting Photos Of Their Underwear In Ireland