Barely hours after refusing the Padmashri conferred on him this year, eminent poet Acharya Janaki Ballabh Shastri agreed to accept it.
Shastri agreed to accept the honour following requests by his well-wishers and admirers, one of his family members said.
Earlier, when approached for his comments Shastri had said "I had refused the gesture of awarding me the Padmashri way back in 1994 ... It doesn't carry any meaning for me at this stage and age."
"My disciples and younger generation deserve the award more than I do," the octogenarian poet had said.
Acharya Shastri is the author of many well-known stories, novels, plays, essays, gazals, songs and biography in Hindi besides being a critic. His famous works include 'Roop Aaroop', 'Teer Tarang', 'Meghgeet', 'Pashani', 'Tamsa' and 'Iravati'.
He has been conferred with various awards like Rajendra Shikhar Samman, Bharat Bharati Award and Shivpujan Sahay Award.
Besides Shastri, noted dancer Hari Uppal and well-known orthopaedic surgeon R N Singh have been conferred the Padma award from Bihar this year.
Shastri Agrees to Accept Padma Shri
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- The Friend Zone Blahs: With Ally Troubles, BJP Needs Some Soul-Searching
- ‘Sadhana Singh Mentally Ill’: BSP Slams BJP MLA For Offensive Comments Against Mayawati
- Veganism: Not Just A Different Menu But An Alternative Way Of Relating To Living World
- Kerala To Revise List Of Women Who Entered Sabarimala Temple After Discrepancies
- Doctor Shouted At Me, Called Me Gujjar, Says Man Whose Wife Gave Birth On Road In J&K
- Only Thing That Can Ground Naveen Patnaik This Time Is ‘Problem Of Plenty’
- What Will Be The Effect Of Alliances Against BJP Across India
- Two Mega Film Releases Trigger A Wave Of Crazy Fan Behaviour In Tamil Nadu
- Politics And Public Memory In Kashmir
- Sabarimala Issue May Help BJP Grow In Kerala But Social Reform Is Inevitable
- From Bollywood To South India, What Made Kader Khan A Darling Of Film-Makers
- Rahul Gandhi Addresses Letter To Manipur Journalist Who Was Jailed For Targeting PM Modi
- CBI Gives Clean Chit To Former MP Minister In Vyapam Scam
- Citizenship Bill Will Not Hamper Interests Of Indigenous Communities: Assam CM
- Sushant Singh Rajput's 'Rifleman' Lands In Legal Tussle
- Congress Expels Srikant Jena, Krushna Sagaria For Anti-Party Activities
- British PM Theresa May's Office Says MP Brexit Moves 'Extremely Concerning'
- Amit Shah, Diagnosed With Swine Flu, Discharged From AIIMS
- Rafale Deal: Is Opposition Being Used In Game Of Corporate Rivalry, Asks Sitharaman