Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor, who has won many hearts in the sixties and seventies with his acting prowess and charm in films like Deewar and Kabhie Kabhie, turned 74 today.
Having starred in over 170 films in a career spanning four decades, Shashi now leads a secluded life. The ailing actor was last seen in a wheelchair at the prayer meet of his elder brother Shammi Kapoor, who passed away on August 14 last year.
Bollywood celebrities took to twitter to wish Shashi on his birthday today.
"Shashi ji's birthday today... Spent some of the most wonderful moments in films we did together... Good health and happiness to him!," megastar Amitabh Bachchan wrote on Twitter.
"Shashi Kapoor has built an institution in Prithvi Theatre and fulfilled his father Prithviraj and wife Jennifer's dream. He earned from film and gave back to the film industry. He produced 36 Chowringhee Lane, Junoon, Vijeta, Kalyug and was the best Producer," veteran actress Shabana Azmi tweeted.
"Met SHASHIJI a few months back to get his hand impressions 4 The LEGEND'S WALK initiative. He gracefully obliged us (sic)," actor Riteish Deshmukh said.
Born as Balbir Raj Prithviraj Kapoor, Shashi began his acting career in the early 1940s as a child artist in films like Aag (1948) and Awaara (1951), where he played the younger version of his elder brother Raj Kapoor.
He made his full fledged acting debut as a hero with Yash Chopra's Dharmputra (1961). His best known performances include Waqt (1965), Haseena Maan Jayegi (1968), Aa Gale Lag Jaa (1973), Roti Kapda Aur Makan (1974), Deewaar (1975), Kabhi Kabhie (1976), Trishul (1978), Satyam Shivam Sundaram (1978) and Namak Halaal (1982).
He is one of the first Indian actors to go international, having acted in English movies like Shakespeare Wallah (1965), Pretty Polly (1967), Heat and Dust (1983).
Shashi Kapoor Turns 74
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Nawanshahr, The 'NRI Belt' Of Punjab, Has Seen Half Of State's Total Coronavirus Cases
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 'Stay Wherever You Are,' Kejriwal Appeals To Migrants; Spain Toll Rises By 838
- Corona Warriors: 'PM Modi Ignored Us,' Say Pharmacists As Gadkari Opens Old Wound
- 'Solidarity, But Impact Of Lockdown Will Amplify Covid-19 Death Toll': Rahul To PM Modi
- Coronavirus: Seal Borders To Stop Exodus Of Migrants, Centre Tells States
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Flights Grounded, Here's What Happens To Your Air Ticket
- 55-yr-old Man From Kashmir Dies Due To COVID-19; UT Has 33 Cases
- Coronavirus Natural, Not Engineered, Says NY-based Genomics Expert
- Live Abroad, But Want To Help The Poor During Lockdown? Here’s How
- Coronavirus: 'Battle For Life And Death,' Says PM Modi On 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Hockey Coach Reid Says Quarantine Has Been A Blessing in Disguise
- Sehwag Could Bring Any Attack To Its Knees: Wright
- Tokyo Olympics Organisers Consider July 2021 For Opening Ceremony