Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi, prime accused in the Sankararaman murder case, today refuted allegations that he had attempted to influence the judge hearing the case.
"..I have never met or interacted with the Judge in question except once, and that on August 18, when there was a hearing of my case in his court. That was the only occasion when I have met or spoken to the judge and have never interacted with him on any matter beyond that, money or any other," he told reporters here.
The seer's comments come a day after the Madras High Court stayed for eight weeks the trial in the case at the Puducherry Sessions court on a petition alleging an attempt to influence the verdict.
The petitioner had submitted that some video footage on purported conversation between the Sankaracharya and some others has emerged regarding alleged payments made and to be made by the seer to influence the judgement in the case.
Jayendra said the Kanchi sankara mutt has a standing tradition of over 69 'Guru paramparas', and the tradition has always respected 'Dharma' and 'Nyaya.'
"Obviously there is someone who is not interested in concluding the case, and wants to prolong it, or, there is someone wanting to make money creating such a situation - and they have brought about such a development.I only wish to tell the well-wishers to put faith in Dharma, nyayam and God fearing values and keep peace."
The seer said he was "pained" and "surprised" to see media reports in the past few days, accusing him of entering into deals with the Judge hearing the case.
He said the only person he ever paid money to was the Advocate representing him in the case.
On his purported telephone conversations seeking to influence the judgement, Jayendra said he neither owns a phone nor does he communicate through phone. The phone, the diaries that were in the past, had all been taken away by police, he said, adding, he always talks to the media and people directly.
Only his assistant communicates with them if they are to be invited, he said. "I believe only in "Dharmam, Nyayam and the Judge and our traditional faith that Dharmam protects those who observe Dharma."
The order staying the proceedings before the Principal Sessions Judge against the Seer, his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi and 22 others in Puducherry was issued on a petition filed by city-based advocate P Sundrarajan.
Sankararaman, manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was murdered in the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004. The two seers have been charged with entering into a conspiracy and hiring a gang to murder Sankararaman out of previous enmity.
A total of 189 witnesses have been examined and cross-examined since commencement of the trial in April 2009, of whom 87 have turned hostile.
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from a Chengalpattu court on a directive by the Supreme Court on a petition filed by Jayendra in October 2005.
Shankaracharya Refutes Allegations of Influencing Judge
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Amid Slowdown, Government Unveils Measures To Support Auto Sector, Boost Demand
- Home, Vehicle, Other Retail Loans To Become Cheaper: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- Death By Debt: Indian Businesses Are Devastated, Tax Terror Adds To Woes
- PV Sindhu Not Smart, Says Korean Coach Kim Ji Hyun Behind Badminton Star's Course Correction
- New India Will Not Allow Loot Of Money: PM Modi To Indian Diaspora In France
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Enhanced Surcharge On FPIs Removed: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- SC To Hear Chidambaram's Appeal Against Arrest On Monday
- FATF Asia-Pacific Group Puts Pakistan In 'Enhanced Blacklist'
- Karnataka: Political Slugfest Erupts Between Congress, JD(S) As Siddaramaiah, Deve Gowda Trade Barbs
- Sindhu Assured Of Fifth Medal At Badminton Worlds
- Ashes Live, 3rd Test: Josh Hazlewood Five-For Demolishes England For 67
- Now, Shashi Tharoor Says 'Demonising Modi Wrong'; Backs Jairam Ramesh, Singhvi
- Roti Served With Salt As Mid-Day Meal For Primary School Students In UP