The BSE benchmark Sensex was trading over 181 points higher at 1145 hours today on increased buying by funds and retail investors, even after the Reserve Bank of India hiked key short-term lending and borrowing rates by 25 basis points each.
The 30-share Sensex, which had gained nearly 100 points at the start of the session, was up 181.49 points, or 0.95 per cent, at 19,332.77 at 1145 hours.
All the sectoral indices - led by oil and gas and capital goods - were trading in positive territory, with gains of up to 1.36 per cent.
The broad-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty regained the 5,800 points level in early trade, rising by 58.30 points, or 1.01 per cent higher, to 5,801.55.40.
Stockbrokers said buying activity picked up as the RBI's decision to raise its short-term lending and borrowing rates by 0.25 per cent each to curb rising inflation was in line with the market expectations.
Sensex Climbs 181 Points as RBI Hikes Key Rates
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Covid Makes Inroads Into Remote Himachal Villages
- Outcry After J&K Police ‘Beat Women’ To Impose Corona Curfew
- Private Traders Saw Second Wave Coming, Hoarded Oxygen But Government Didn’t
- ‘Will Covid Vaccine Kill Or Make Me Impotent?’ Villagers Question, Say No To Vaccine
- Split Of Votes Between Congress-led Front, AJP-RD Saved BJP's Skin
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- The Dravidian Wall: Patience, Experience Paid Off For DMK’s Stalin
- How To Tackle 2nd Covid Wave: 9 Points From Opposition To Centre
- Modi’s War Against Covid: From ‘Timely & Tough’ to ‘Worrying’
- Column: Some Oxygen For Siddique Kappan, Please?
- Nurses: Covid Warriors And Real Bravehearts
- NC Condemns Israeli 'Atrocities' On Palestinians
- Fencer Bhavani Almost Skipped Qualifying
- Saina, Srikanth's Olympic Hopes Over