Former Maharashtra Assembly Speaker and senior NCP leader Babasaheb Kupekar passed away here today following a prolonged illness, family sources said.
Kupekar, 70, had been suffering from cancer and he breathed at his last at the Jaslok hospital this morning, where he was admitted in the ICU more than a month ago, sources said.
He is survived by wife and three daughters.
Kupekar, who represented the Gadhinglaj constituency in Kolhapur district, was also a former chairman of the State Planning Board.
The mortal remains will be taken to his hometown later in the day and the funeral will take place tomorrow morning.
Kupekar's real name was Krishnarao Rakhmajirao Desai.
In the Congress-NCP coalition government, he served as minister of state for cooperation, environment, labour and industries from 1999-2004. Later, he was elevated as the Legislative Assembly Speaker.
In his hometown, he headed several educational institutions.
Kupekar began his political career as a sarpanch of Kanadewadi in the Gadhinglaj taluka. He was also the director of Kolhapur District Cooperative Bank.
Before 1999, he was the general secretary of the Maharashtra Congress and after NCP came in existence, he was appointed president of the Kolhapur district NCP unit.
Senior NCP Leader Babasaheb Kupekar Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Day Before Counting, Election Commission Rejects Opposition Demand On VVPATs
- Party Workers Keep 24-Hour Vigil Outside EVM Strongrooms Ahead Of Counting Day
- In Exit Polls Prediction, A Non-Existent AAP Candidate, 7 Seats For LJP In Bihar
- CWC 2019: There Will Be Disappointment If India Rely Too Heavily On Kohli, Warns Tendulkar
- You're Fighting For Truth, Don't Be Upset With Exit Polls: Rahul Gandhi To Party Workers
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- In Parts Of Odisha, Cylone Fani-Affected People Forced To Repay Loans
- At NDA Meet, PM Modi Expresses Concern Over 'Needless Controversy' On EVMs
- 'Why Can't All VVPATs Be Verified, Is SC Also Involved in Rigging', Asks Udit Raj
- EC Wants To Set New Precedent Of 'Dark Secrets', 'Secluded Chambers': Congress
- ISRO Successfully Launches Satellite RISAT-2B; It Can Take Pictures Under 'Cloudy Conditions'
- Newly-elected Members Of Lok Sabha Not To Stay In Hotels: LS Secretary General
- ED Conducts Fresh Raids In Connection With IL&FS Payment Default Case
- 'AAP Ke Saath,' Tweets Akhilesh Yadav; Arvind Kejriwal Responds