Former Bihar minister and senior ruling JD(U) leader Shakeel Ahmed Khan died at a private hospital in Gurgaon today, family sources said.
He was 65. Khan died of cardiac arrest at Medicity hospital in Gurgaon.
He survived by his widow, three daughters and his three brothers.
Khan was member of Bihar assembly twice and also a member of the state legislative council once.
He was a senior cabinet minister for energy, law, minority welfare and public relations department for ten years in the erstwhile Rabri Devi ministry.
Khan was also a leading lawyer in Patna High Court where he practised for more than three decades.
Khan who was a senior leader of CPI and later switched over to RJD before he became minister.
A couple of years ago, Khan had joined JD(U) after resigning from the primary membership of RJD.
His body is likely to be taken to Patna tomorrow.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad, former CM Rabri Devi and state youth congress president Lalan Kumar today expressed profound grief and shock at the untimely demise.
In his condolence message, Kumar said it was a loss to the ruling JD(U) and also to the state.
He described Khan as a veteran social activist and politician who had contributed lot to the state.
"In his death we have lost a legal luminary and a friend and philosopher," Kumar said.
Lalu said his death has caused irreparable lost to society and politics in Bihar.
He recalled the contributions of Khan during his stint as minister in the erstwhile RJD cabinet in Bihar.
The CM said Khan would be buried with full state honours at his native place at Makhdumpur in Gaya.
Deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi, Bihar youth congress president Lalan Kumar and other state congress leaders also condoled his death.
Others who also offered condolences include assembly speaker Uday Narayan Chowdhury, Deputy Speaker Amrendra Prasad Singh and state youth legislative council Chairman Salim Parvez.
Senior JD(U) Leader Shakeel Ahmed Khan Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Muzaffer Ahmad, The Budgam Doctor Who Steadfastly 'Captures' COVID-19 Victims
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Trains Under Scanner As Passengers Test Postive
- Singer Kanika Kapoor Booked For Negligence, Spreading Coronavirus In Lucknow
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Lakhs Of Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Janata Curfew: No Passenger Train To Run From Midnight To 10 PM On Sunday
- UP Health Minister, Who Attended Party With Singer Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Maharashtra Shuts Offices Till March 31; Delhi Malls Closed
- 'You Are Not Invincible': WHO To Youth Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Delhi Metro Services To Be Closed On Sunday Due To Janata Curfew
- Coronavirus: Who's Saying What Over Status Of Tokyo Olympics
- COVID-19: Indian Tennis Players Work On Future Ventures During Forced Break