Former Bihar minister and senior ruling JD(U) leader Shakeel Ahmed Khan died at a private hospital in Gurgaon today, family sources said.
He was 65. Khan died of cardiac arrest at Medicity hospital in Gurgaon.
He survived by his widow, three daughters and his three brothers.
Khan was member of Bihar assembly twice and also a member of the state legislative council once.
He was a senior cabinet minister for energy, law, minority welfare and public relations department for ten years in the erstwhile Rabri Devi ministry.
Khan was also a leading lawyer in Patna High Court where he practised for more than three decades.
Khan who was a senior leader of CPI and later switched over to RJD before he became minister.
A couple of years ago, Khan had joined JD(U) after resigning from the primary membership of RJD.
His body is likely to be taken to Patna tomorrow.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad, former CM Rabri Devi and state youth congress president Lalan Kumar today expressed profound grief and shock at the untimely demise.
In his condolence message, Kumar said it was a loss to the ruling JD(U) and also to the state.
He described Khan as a veteran social activist and politician who had contributed lot to the state.
"In his death we have lost a legal luminary and a friend and philosopher," Kumar said.
Lalu said his death has caused irreparable lost to society and politics in Bihar.
He recalled the contributions of Khan during his stint as minister in the erstwhile RJD cabinet in Bihar.
The CM said Khan would be buried with full state honours at his native place at Makhdumpur in Gaya.
Deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi, Bihar youth congress president Lalan Kumar and other state congress leaders also condoled his death.
Others who also offered condolences include assembly speaker Uday Narayan Chowdhury, Deputy Speaker Amrendra Prasad Singh and state youth legislative council Chairman Salim Parvez.
Senior JD(U) Leader Shakeel Ahmed Khan Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Pak's Demand For Probe 'Preposterous', Clear Evidence Of JeM Involvement In Pulwama Attack: India
- 'Stop Accusing Pakistan With Baseless Allegations', FM Qureshi Tells India After Pulwama Attack
- NSA For Cattle Smuggling, Sedition For Dancing: How Laws Are Being Abused by Govts
- Donald Trump Declares National Emergency To Build Wall Along Mexico Border
- US Supports India's Right To Self-Defence: NSA To Ajit Doval On Pulwama Attack
- China’s Growing Influence In Nepal Vs India’s Soft Power
- Will 'Operation Lotus' Boomerang On BJP In Karnataka?
- Faulted By Design: Cow Slaughter In India And Bank Interest In Pakistan
- A Race To Grab Spotlight This Election Season
- Zero's Failure Should Not Dissuade Shahrukh Khan From Trying New Roles
- The Big 'Little Brother' Of Tamil Nadu
- A Day After Its Launch, Vande Bharat Express, India's Fastest Train Breaks Down
- We Never Thought He Would Join Militancy, Says Stunned Father Of Jaish Militant
- Pulwama Terror Attack: All-Party Meeting Today
- Five Killed In Gun Violence At US Manufacturing Facility
- 80 Kg High-Grade RDX Used By Jaish Terrorist In Pulwama Terror Attack
- Gujjar Agitation Continues Despite Govt's Assurance For Reservation
- Mamata Demands 3-Day Mourning For Pulwama Martyrs, Slams Modi For Flagging-Off Train
- Officials Fear Magnitude Of Pulwama Attack Could Lure More Youth To Join Militant Ranks