Human rights activist Binayak Sen, released on bail by the Supreme Court after his conviction by a lower court for sedition, today said sedition law should be "completely" repealed.
"The laws of sedition in the country should be completely repealed," Sen said at a seminar on 'State of Freedom in Democracy' here.
"Though I have become a cause celebrity, there are thousands more like me who are languishing in jails all over the country after they were booked under sedition laws," he said.
Hailing the people's struggle for his release, Sen said, "the government should be more compassionate to the peoples' causes and respect the suppressed voices".
"In a free democracy like India, every person should be free enough to hold the government wrong on definite accounts," he said.
"Laws like sedition are draconian in nature and has no relevance in contemporary time," Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi, who was also present on the occasion, said.
Sedition Law Should be Completely Repealed: Binayak
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- ID Proof, Positive Covid Report Not Mandatory For Hospitalisation: Centre
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In Tamil Nadu Releases Election Expenses
- Game Over, Or Halftime? Mamata Faces Full-Blown Tussle With BJP
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- ‘Need To Look At Every Aspect That Caused Poll Defeat’: Sonia To Cong
- Delhi’s Covaxin Stock Will Run Out In A Day: Satyendar Jain
- 34 AMU Professors Succumb To Covid In Last 18 Days
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- M.K. Stalin: The Prince Who Finally Became King
- Bach Cancels Japan Trip Because Of COVID Cases
- Shafali Verma Set To Play In The Hundred, May Feature In WBBL Also