Human rights activist Binayak Sen, released on bail by the Supreme Court after his conviction by a lower court for sedition, today said sedition law should be "completely" repealed.
"The laws of sedition in the country should be completely repealed," Sen said at a seminar on 'State of Freedom in Democracy' here.
"Though I have become a cause celebrity, there are thousands more like me who are languishing in jails all over the country after they were booked under sedition laws," he said.
Hailing the people's struggle for his release, Sen said, "the government should be more compassionate to the peoples' causes and respect the suppressed voices".
"In a free democracy like India, every person should be free enough to hold the government wrong on definite accounts," he said.
"Laws like sedition are draconian in nature and has no relevance in contemporary time," Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi, who was also present on the occasion, said.
Sedition Law Should be Completely Repealed: Binayak
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Charting Congress Fortunes In Rajasthan: How Long Can Ashok Gehlot Keep Sachin Pilot Away From Hotseat?
- Eagerly Waiting To Start Duty, But No Honest Initiative From Mamata's End: Agitating Doctors
- India Imposes Higher Customs Duty On 28 US Products
- 'You Can Be A Hero': Arthur's 'Chak De' Speech To Fire Up Pakistan Before India Clash
- India Can Win If It's A 50-Over Game: Gavaskar
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- LS Polls In J&K: Uncles, Aunties And Engineer Rasheed
- Nitish Saw Modi Wave Coming, Made Amends In Time To Return To NDA
- Death Of Jamal Khashoggi Is Very Painful Crime, Says Saudi Crown Prince
- Amarinder Singh Sends Delegation To Meghalaya After Sikhs Recieved 'Threats'
- Sunny Deol Visits Gurdaspur To Review Progress Of Work On Kartarpur Corridor
- Mamata Banerjee Dismisses MHA's Claims Of 'Poor' Law And Order In Bengal
- IND VS PAK: 'Our World Cup Is Not Finishing Tomorrow, Can't Think Like Fans' - Virat Kohli
- Enact Specific Laws To Protect Doctors, Medical Professionals: Harsh Vardhan Writes To All CMs
- Why Litchi May Not Be Responsible For Child Deaths In Bihar's Muzaffarpur
- In Gujarat, Seven Die After Inhaling Toxic Fumes While Cleaning Sewer