Amid reports that it may not want market regulator SEBI Chairman C B Bhave to continue beyond February next, the government has kicked off a search process for the next incumbent.
A high level search panel, headed by Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar, has been constituted by the government for the purpose, though it is said that Bhave himself could apply for the fresh term after his three-year stint ends in February 2011. Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla is also part of the panel.
While no communication could be established with Bhave, names of Chairman of State Bank of Indian O P Bhatt, National Stock Exchange Chief Ravi Narain, a top finance ministry officer K P Krishnan, who is now part of the Prime Minister's Economic Advisory panel, are doing the rounds.
SEBI had moved the Supreme Court against Insurance Regulatory Authority on the issue of managing Unit Linked Insurance Policies (ULIPs) of insurance firms before government stepped in to decide on a turf issue between the two regulators and enacted a new law this month for the purpose.
The row between SEBI and IRDA followed after the market regulator, in a late night order on April 10, banned 14 insurance companies from operating ULIPs.
Bhave, who was chairman of the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), was appointed SEBI chief in February 2008 when P Chidambaram was the Finance Minister.
He took from M Damodaran who had refused to appear for interview before the then search panel to seek a second term.
The search panel, sources said, will suggest two three names for SEBI chairman's post. The financial selection, however, will be made by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) on a proposal to be mooted by the Finance Ministry.
Search Panel to Look for Next SEBI Chief
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: Punjab Set 179-Run Target For Chennai
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader, Party Stages Protest
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Piyush Goyal Inaugurates Kolkata's Phoolbagan Station
- Hathras Case: Editors Guild Condemns UP Govt For Obstructing Media
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris