Amid reports that it may not want market regulator SEBI Chairman C B Bhave to continue beyond February next, the government has kicked off a search process for the next incumbent.
A high level search panel, headed by Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar, has been constituted by the government for the purpose, though it is said that Bhave himself could apply for the fresh term after his three-year stint ends in February 2011. Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla is also part of the panel.
While no communication could be established with Bhave, names of Chairman of State Bank of Indian O P Bhatt, National Stock Exchange Chief Ravi Narain, a top finance ministry officer K P Krishnan, who is now part of the Prime Minister's Economic Advisory panel, are doing the rounds.
SEBI had moved the Supreme Court against Insurance Regulatory Authority on the issue of managing Unit Linked Insurance Policies (ULIPs) of insurance firms before government stepped in to decide on a turf issue between the two regulators and enacted a new law this month for the purpose.
The row between SEBI and IRDA followed after the market regulator, in a late night order on April 10, banned 14 insurance companies from operating ULIPs.
Bhave, who was chairman of the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), was appointed SEBI chief in February 2008 when P Chidambaram was the Finance Minister.
He took from M Damodaran who had refused to appear for interview before the then search panel to seek a second term.
The search panel, sources said, will suggest two three names for SEBI chairman's post. The financial selection, however, will be made by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) on a proposal to be mooted by the Finance Ministry.
Search Panel to Look for Next SEBI Chief
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Cong Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Bihar: Corpses Of Suspected Covid-19 Victims Found Floating In Ganga River
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Users Who Don’t Accept New Privacy Terms Won’t Be Able To Receive Calls: WhatsApp
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Beed: Govt To Probe Discrepancy In Covid Deaths As Funerals Rise
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine