Eminent scientist Gokulananda Mohapatra was today presented the prestigious Kalinga Samman-2011 for his contribution in popularisation of science in Odisha.
Governor M C Bhandare honoured Mohapatra at the valedictory session of the two-day International Conference of celebration of 60th anniversary of Unesco Kalinga Prize for popularization of science here.
Kalinga Foundation Trust had instituted the state level prize in 2010.
The annual prize is given to an eminent scientist of Odisha for his/her outstanding contribution for popularization of science among the common people.
The prize carries a cash award of Rs 1 Lakh, a memento and a citation. The winner is selected by a three member jury of eminent scientists.
Meanwhile, the trust also announced its plan to publish a quarterly Odia magazine on science.
"We will consider publication of the magazine also in English language," Trust chairman B C Patnaik said.
This apart, he said the trust has also decided to honour children scientists annually in order to popularise science at school levels.
Scientist Mohapatra Gets Kalinga Samman-2011
THE LATEST ISSUE
- SC Dismisses Rafale PILs With A Note Of Caution, Major Relief To Modi Govt
- Ashok Gehlot To Be Rajasthan CM, Sachin Pilot His Deputy: Congress
- Outlook-Lokniti-CSDS Election Analysis: How Madhya Pradesh Voted
- Interpreting The Verdict: What Led To BJP's Defeat In Rajasthan
- Ace Shuttlers Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap Tie The Knot, Wishes Pour In
- The Pilgrim’s Progress: Railways To Waive Off Surcharge On Special Trains During Kumbh Mela
- Why There Is A Problem With Opinion Polls In India
- Introduced And Cancelled: Why India's Semi-High-Speed Trains Struggle To Survive
- When Omar Retweets Mehbooba And Drabu 'Likes' Lone's Tweets
- In Karnataka, Ministry Expansion Is Back To The Front Once Again
- Here's Why PM Modi's G20 Move On Economic Offenders Is Unlikely To Change Anything
- Kamal Nath Will Take Oath As Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister On Dec 17
- Arun Jaitley Rejects Demand For JPC Probe Into Rafale Deal
- Congress Says SC Verdict On Rafale Deal Validates Party's Stance, Demands JPC Probe
- AUS Vs IND, 2nd Test, Day 1 Report: Honours Even As Indian Pacers Toil At Perth
- Jammu And Kashmir Becomes First State To Have Explicit Law Banning 'Sextortion'
- High BP Is Killing Tribals In J&K. Is Kashmiri Salt Tea To Blame?
- Nepal Govt Bans Indian Currency Notes Of 2000, 500, 200 Denomination
- Google Launches 'Shopping' In India For A Personalised Experience