The Supreme Court today declined to entertain a petition seeking an independent probe into the killing of senior police officers by terrorists in 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
A Bench comprising Justices B Sudershan Reddy and S S Nijjar said the Public Interest Litigation for constituting a fact-finding committee headed by a sitting or retired apex court judge into the killings of Hemant Karkare, Vijay Salaskar and Ashok Kamte cannot be considered.
It, however, gave liberty to the petitioner to approach the Bombay High Court and declared the PIL as dismissed.
The PIL filed by Ramakant Yadav, a former Bihar MLA, had sought a direction from the court for either setting up a fact-finding committee or for ordering an inquiry into the incident under the Commission of Inquiry Act.
Senior advocate J S Atri and Praveen Chandra, appearing for the petitioner, gave reference of the book penned by former Maharashtra IGP S M Mushriff to buttress the point for holding an independent probe into the killing of Karkare and others.
The petitioner claimed some of the witnesses who had identified the accused persons during the probe were never made witnesses in the case.
The police officers were killed by the terrorist near the CST station.
SC Rejects Probe for Cop Deaths in 26/11 Attack
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Takes Oath As The CM Of Assam, Here Are The Names Of Other Ministers
- 34 Aligarh Muslim University Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases And 3,754 Deaths
- Game Over, Or Halftime? Mamata Faces Full-Blown Tussle With BJP
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- UP: Seven Held For Stealing Clothes Off Bodies And Selling Them
- M.K. Stalin: The Prince Who Finally Became King
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly