Rejecting Sikkim Chief Justice P D Dinakaran's plea that he can't be impeached for alleged misconduct not connected with discharge of judicial duties, the Supreme Court today said a judge's conduct "must be exemplary" both within and outside the court.
A bench of justices G S Singhvi and C K Patnaik said a judge cannot walk into a shopping mall, pick up an article of his choice and simply walk away without footing the bill.
"His conduct must be exemplary. He is liable for his actions. There cannot be aberrations. He cannot go to the shopping mall, pick up anything and walk out without paying.
"Any conduct that brings down the dignity of the court cannot be accepted," the bench remarked.
The apex court made the remarks after senior counsel Basava Prabhu Patil and Romy Chacko, appearing for Justice Dinakaran, aruged a judge's conduct which was not connected with the discharge of his/her official duties cannot be part of any impeachment motion.
The counsel cited Article 124(4) of the Constitution that judges enjoy immunity from any prosecution or impeachment for misconduct unless the same was related to the discharge of the official duty.
Sensing the mood of the court, the counsel then admitted the conduct of the judges should be exemplary both within and outside the court.
SC Rejects Dinakaran's Plea Against Impeachment
THE LATEST ISSUE
- SACHIN'S PERSONAL DIARY: Sleeping Well, Varan-Bhaat And Pink Floyd – How 'God Of Cricket' Is Combating Coronavirus
- Highrises Of Nightmares! Why Coronavirus Will Extend Slowdown Period In Real Estate Sector
- India Still In Local Transmission Stage, Says Health Ministry On Coronavirus
- 175 People From Nizamuddin Being Tested For Covid-19; Police To Register FIR Against Maulana
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Meghalaya Allows Home Delivery Of Liquor On Health Grounds
- Coronavirus: With 4 Deaths In 24 Hrs, India Toll Reaches 29; Cases Rise To 1,071
- Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled For July 23-August 8 In 2021
- Migrant Workers Sprayed With Chemicals, Bareilly DM Admits 'Mistake'
- Corona Silences Tamil Nadu’s Majestic Nadhaswarams
- Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh’s Residential Area Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Will Stray Animals Survive The Coronavirus Lockdown?
- EXCLUSIVE | Simon Taufel Hails Virender Sehwag's Temperament, Humour