Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan today said the full court of the Supreme Court will consider the implication of the Delhi High Court verdict holding that the office of the CJI came within the ambit of the Right to Information Act.
He, however, refused to make any further comment, saying that he was yet to read the judgement and had only read the reports appearing in the newspapers.
"I have not seen the judgement so far. Let me see it. So far, I have only seen your valuable report," he told reporters on the sidelines of the farewell function organised at the apex court for Justice Tarun Chatterjee, who retires today.
In the path-breaking judgement, a three-judge Bench of the High Court headed by Chief Justice A P Shah had held that the office of the CJI comes under the ambit of the RTI Act.
The apex court has decided to appeal against the judgement.
The verdict was a setback for Justice Balakrishnan, who has consistently maintained that the CJI cannot be brought under the ambit of the transparency law.
The larger Bench upheld the decision of the single Bench which had also held the apex court registry and CJI office cannot be said to be separate organs.
The High Court had rejected the contention of the apex court that bringing the CJI's office within the RTI Act would "hamper" judicial independence and said higher judiciary should not shy away from the transparency law.
"Judicial independence is not a privilege to a judge but a responsibility," the High Court said, adding that the CJI cannot be said to have fiduciary relation with his fellow judges.
SC Full Court to Consider Implication of HC Judgement: CJI
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly