A local court today adjourned to January 31, 2012, hearing in Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Mutt seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are the prime accused.
Principal district and Sessions Judge T Ramaswamy before whom the case came up for hearing today, adjourned the proceedings to January 31.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devados said the stay on the trial, given by Madras High Court on August 25 on a writ petition filed by an advocate, was still in force and hence the trial proceedings here stood adjourned as the matter was pending before the High Court.
Only four of the 24 accused were present when the case came up in court. The absentees included the two seers who have been charged under IPC Sections 302 (murder) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy).
The petitioner had sought a stay on the trial and a direction to the Registrar (Vigilance) to commence a statutory investigation by filing an FIR on his complaint regarding video tapes containing purported phone conversation allegedly to influence the judgment in the Sankararaman case. The petitioner had also sought a re-trial of the case.
The High Court had launched a "discrete" inquiry into the video tapes, and the court was told on October 13 that it had been completed.
Sankararaman, manager in Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was murdered on September 3, 2004. Police have charged the seer and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi with involvement in the murder due to previous enmity.
Trial of the case was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpet court as per a Supreme Court order on a petition filed before the Apex Court by the Kanchi seer in Oct 2005.
Sankararaman Murder: Hearing Adjourned to Jan 31
THE LATEST ISSUE
- G7 Summit: Spotlight On Kashmir, Trade During Modi-Trump Talks
- Supreme Court To Hear P Chidambaram's Plea Against Arrest Today
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Driver Killed In Kashmir As Protesters Hurl Stones At Truck Mistaking It For Police Vehicle
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Meets Boris Johnson At G-7 Summit; Discusses Bilateral Ties, Security
- Former PM Manmohan Singh's SPG Security Withdrawn
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- 'Why Don't We Nuke Them', Trump's Suggestion To Stop Hurricane: Report
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Hosts Must Take Inspiration From Stokes - Root
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Rahane, Bumrah Torment Windies As India Seal First Test In Clinical Fashion