One more witness turned hostile during the trial in the Sankararaman murder case today in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and junior acharya Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused.
A total of five witnesses were examined today when the trial resumed before the Principal District and Sessions Judge K Ramasamy. When one of the witnesses examined contradicted the statements he had given earlier before the police in Kancheepuram, the Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss declared him as 'hostile'.
Of the 142 witnesses examined so far since the commencement of the trial here two years ago, as many as 73 witnesses have turned hostile. The case was transferred to Puducherry from Tamil Nadu in 2005.
The case was shifted to Puducherry court from Chengalpattu district court by an order of the Supreme Court on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswati.
Of the 24 accused only six were present during the trial today and the absentees included the two seers.
The judge adjourned the hearing to tomorrow. Around ten more witnesses would be examined during the hearing tomorrow, Devadosss told PTI.
Sankararaman, manager of the Varadararjaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004.
Sankararaman Murder: Another Witness Turns Hostile
THE LATEST ISSUE
- G7 Summit: Spotlight On Kashmir, Trade During Modi-Trump Talks
- Supreme Court To Hear P Chidambaram's Plea Against Arrest Today
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Driver Killed In Kashmir As Protesters Hurl Stones At Truck Mistaking It For Police Vehicle
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Meets Boris Johnson At G-7 Summit; Discusses Bilateral Ties, Security
- Former PM Manmohan Singh's SPG Security Withdrawn
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- 'Why Don't We Nuke Them', Trump's Suggestion To Stop Hurricane: Report
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Hosts Must Take Inspiration From Stokes - Root
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Rahane, Bumrah Torment Windies As India Seal First Test In Clinical Fashion