A local court on Thursday adjourned to November 1, the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused.
Of the 24 accused only eight were present when the hearing resumed before the Principal District and Sessions Judge T.Ramaswamy.
The absentees included Jayendra and Vijayendra who have been charged under IPC sections relating to criminal conspiracy and murder.
During the trial, five more prosecution witnesses, including a woman, of the seven examined and cross-examined turned hostile. They contradicted the statements they had given earlier before police in Kancheepuram.
A total of 103 witnesses had been examined since the commencement of the trial here after the Supreme Court shifted the case from Chengalpattu district court on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswathi in October 2005.
Of them, 58 have turned hostile.
Special Public Prosecutor N.Devadoss said the hearing was adjourned to November 1. Around 120 more witnesses are to be examined in connection with the case.
Sankararaman, manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
Sankararaman Case: Hearing Adjourned To Nov 1
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Communal Corona? Is It Justified To Blame Tablighi Jamaat For Nizamuddin Outbreak?
- Chemists Claim Shortage of Essential Medicines Due To Hoarding & Panic Buying
- Coronavirus: With 146 New Infections, Cases In India Climb to 1,397; Death Toll Reaches 35
- Is Coronavirus Sexually Transmitted And Other Questions People Want To Ask
- Tendulkar's 'Coronavirus' Diary: Unplugged Music, TV Serials And Lot Of Sleep
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- FIR Filed Against Tablighi Jamaat Maulana
- India Needs Aggressive Measures To Protect Marginalised In These Times
- Recession To Hit World Economy With Likely Exception Of India, China: UN
- Spain Sees Record Death Toll With 849 Fatalities In 24 Hours: Govt
- Another Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh, Cops Ask People To Stay Indoors
- Hit Void: Who Would Like To Wipe A Year In Sport From The Records?
- From Akshay-Salman To Janhvi-Sara Ali Khan, Corona Will Spare None
- With $2.7B Reserves, FIFA Has 'Duty' To Aid Football