Sanjana Jon, sister of Indian- American fashion designer Anand Jon who has been jailed for 59 years for sexually assaulting aspiring models, has been fined USD 1,000 and sentenced to either 5-day imprisonment or 120- hour community service for contacting a juror during his trial.
The sentence was announced by Judge David Wesley of Los Angeles Superior Court as part of the contempt of court proceedings against her along with juror Alvin Dymally for having spoken to each other in violation of the court order.
Announcing the sentence yesterday, Judge Wesley slapped a fine of USD 1,000 on Sanjana, the elder sister of Anand Jon, and gave her the option of either five days in jail or 120 hours of community service.
According to her attorney, Dana Cole, Sanjana opted for community service. Early this week, Dymally too received the same sentence.
Wesley wanted Sanjana to perform 120 hours' service with Caltrans, California Department of Transportation, while Cole claimed a medical condition made that impossible, L A Weekly reported.
"Wesley agreed to work with Cole and (Sanjana Jon) Alexander to find 'an acceptable alternative' and scheduled them to return to his court next Tuesday with a doctor's letter confirming Alexander's inability to work with Caltrans," the weekly said.
After the hearing, Sanjana embraced her mother and the two women wept.
Sanjana Jon Fined USD 1,000 for Contempt of Court
THE LATEST ISSUE
- G7 Summit: Spotlight On Kashmir, Trade During Modi-Trump Talks
- Supreme Court To Hear P Chidambaram's Plea Against Arrest Today
- Sindhu To Receive Cash Reward For Stellar Showing At Badminton Worlds
- Driver Killed In Kashmir As Protesters Hurl Stones At Truck Mistaking It For Police Vehicle
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Meets Boris Johnson At G-7 Summit; Discusses Bilateral Ties, Security
- Former PM Manmohan Singh's SPG Security Withdrawn
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- 'Why Don't We Nuke Them', Trump's Suggestion To Stop Hurricane: Report
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Hosts Must Take Inspiration From Stokes - Root
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Rahane, Bumrah Torment Windies As India Seal First Test In Clinical Fashion