Sanjana Jon, sister of celebrated Indian fashion designer Anand Jon, sentenced to 59 years in prison for sexually assaulting aspiring models, now faces contempt of court proceedings for speaking to a juror in violation of a court order and failing to report it.
Sanjana, currently in India, faces the contempt of court proceedings along with juror Alvin Dymally for having spoken to each other in violation of the court order, Judge David Wesley said.
The contempt of court proceedings is slated to begin in the next few weeks.
Dymally was one of the 12 jurors which last November found Anand Jon guilty of sexual crimes. According to local media reports and court proceedings, Dymally met Sanjana during the trial and gave his number.
Dymally spoke to Sanjana twice over phone, during which he offered help.
At one of the court proceedings after the November judgement, Sanjana, who had taped the conversations, alleged that the court order went against Anand because she had refused to meet Dymally alone in person.
Anand's lawyers had demanded retrial on this ground, which was refused by the court, which awarded him 59 years of imprisonment.
Judge Wesley said it was an act of contempt of court for contacting the juror and failing to report it to the court.
Sanjana Jon Faces Contempt of Court
Lalit K Jha, Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bombay High Court Grants Bail to Rhea Chakraborty
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- KKR Vs CSK: Focus On Captains As Kolkata Face Chennai
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- The SSR Mega Serial: How TV Media Put Original Family Dramas To Shame
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Chirag Walkout: BJP Warns Of FIR Over Use Of PM Modi's Photo
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- AAP MLA Booked For Meeting Kin Of Hathras Victim After Testing Covid+
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Karnataka Govt Slashes 'Hefty Fine' For Not Wearing Masks
- Rafa On Attack, Says It's The Only Way
- Steve Smith Fined Rs 12 Lakh