Pakistan's former Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir, who has been part of the post-26/11 Indo-Pak dialogue process, is the country's new High Commissioner to India.
60-year-old Bashir has been appointed as the new envoy to India in place of Shahid Malik, Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Ahmed Khan announced today.
Bashir had served as Foreign Secretary from 2008 to March this year, when Jalil Abbas Jillani took over from him.
The former Pakistan Foreign Secretary has been part of the Indo-Pak dialogue process following the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.
He also served as the Ambassador to Denmark, Lithuania, China and Mongolia and did a stint at Pakistan's Mission to the United Nations in Geneva.
Bashir had travelled to New Delhi when President Asif Ali Zardari made a day-long private visit to India on April 8.
During the visit, Zardari had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over lunch and offered prayers at the Sufi shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti in Ajmer.
Salman Bashir New Pak Envoy to India
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Modi Brought India To Its Knees: Mahua Moitra
- ‘Localised Containment Strategies Need Of The Hour’: PM Modi
- Bengal Govt Announces Complete Lockdown
- Israeli Airstrike In Gaza Destroys Building With Media Offices
- Cyclone Tauktae Likely To Intensify Into 'Very Severe Cyclonic' Storm
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Mamata Banerjee: The Wonder Woman As The Masked Crusader
- Farmers To Observe May 26 As ‘Black Day’ To Mark 6 Months Of Protest
- 11 States, UTs Have More Than One Lakh Active Covid Cases: Centre
- MP: Officials Vaccinate BJP MP’s Staff, Kin At Home; Probe Ordered
- Which Covid Strain Causes Post-Vaccination Deaths?
- UP: Father Hacks 16-Year-Old Daughter, Lover To Death; Held
- BCCI Abandoned Bereaved Veda: Lisa
- India footballer Lalpekhlua Patrolling River