Famous poet and lyricist Sahir Ludhianvi was remembered on his birth anniversary today with President Pranab Mukherjee releasing a commemorative postal stamp. The president said that Sahir continues to live, through his poetry and his songs, in people's hearts.
Speaking at a function at Rashtrapati Bhavan, Mukherjee noted that Sahir was widely acclaimed as a people's poet who wrote on the trials and tribulations of everyday life of the common man with great intensity and deep empathy.
"He was recognised as the poet of the young because of his writings on love and beauty. He wrote with great sensitivity on the values and social concerns of the contemporary period," he said.
Born as Abdul Hayee in Ludhiana in 1921, Sahir was known for his realistic lyrics in 1957-Guru Dutt's classic movie Pyaasa which challenged post-independence nationalistic atmosphere in the country through one his famous poem "jinhe naaz hai Hind par wo kaha hain."
At the function, Mukherjee said one of Sahir's greatest contributions was to converge Urdu poetry into film songs.
"He also fought for recognition for lyric writers through the Film Writers Association. The fact that his birth day is being commemorated 33 years after his death with the release of the stamp is proof that he lives - through his poetry and his songs – in people's hearts," he said.
The function was attended by Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology Kapil Sibal and Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting Manish Tewari and Delhi Commissioner of Police Neeraj Kumar.
Sibal recited some of the couplets penned by the late poet.
Sahir Ludhianvi Honoured With Postal Stamp
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep La Liga Title In Real Madrid's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly