Sachin Tendulkar's return One-day cricket after an 11-month hiatus has been cut short due to a hamstring injury and the iconic batsman will be replaced by diminutive Parthiv Patel for the remainder of the series against South Africa.
Tendulkar's injury comes a day before the selection committee meeting in Chennai to pick the 15-member squad for the ICC World Cup, starting February 19.
Tendulkar, who had not played one-dayers after scoring first ever ODI double hundred in February 2010, suffered the injury during the second ODI against the Proteas yesterday.
"Sachin Tendulkar will not take further part in the ongoing ODI series against South Africa due to a hamstring injury. Parthiv Patel is being flown to South Africa as his replacement," BCCI Secretary N Srinivasan said in a release.
Tendulkar did not field during the South African innings yesterday and at the post-match press conference India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni had said that the champion batsman will not take part in the remaining three ODIs of the five-match series.
With this, Sachin has become the fourth Indian cricketer to return home due to injury after openers Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and pacer Praveen Kumar.
Tendulkar had achieved another milestone in his career yesterday, when he equalled Sanath Jayasuriya's record of being the most capped player in one-day international cricket.
The second ODI against South Africa was Tendulkar's 444th match, the same as Sri Lankan legend Jayasuriya played in his career.
Sachin Ruled Out of ODI Series, Parthiv to Join Team
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases And 3,754 Deaths
- 34 Aligarh Muslim University Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam CM Today, Here Are The Other Probable Ministers
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- UP: Seven Held For Stealing Clothes Off Bodies And Selling Them
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly