As the government scrapped the S-Band spectrum allocation deal, Defence Minister A K Antony today said a "mistake" had been committed in reaching it as the Defence Ministry had not been consulted about the agreement which involved crucial asset of the security forces.
He expressed confidence that in future the first priority would be given to security forces in allocation of such spectrum.
"They have done some mistake.... S-Band is mainly for the strategic forces and in which our services- army, navy, air froze- they have got major stake," he told reporters.
Noting that S-Band spectrum was "very precious asset for us", the Defence Minister said its "availability is limited" and has to be given to the armed forces, paramilitary and other strategic forces.
"It is unfortunate that earlier we were not consulted at that time by those who took the decision," he said adding that "In the future the first priority would be for the strategic forces and strategic organizations."
Antony said the Ministry of Defence and Services have got a major stake and "I hope their concerns would be properly addressed. I am confident about that."
His remarks came hours after the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) annulled the controversial deal saying it was not in the strategic interest of the country.
Commenting on Antony's remarks, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily said the "issues" raised by his cabinet colleague "can be a subject matter" before the B K Chaturvedi Committee set by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh recently to look into various aspects of the S-Band allocation.
S-Band Allocation was a Mistake: Antony
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Modi Brought India To Its Knees: Mahua Moitra
- Israeli Airstrike Destroys Al-Jazeera Office In Gaza
- Which Covid Strain Causes Post-Vaccination Deaths?
- Are Hospitals Prescribing Unscientific Coronil To Covid Patients?
- Cyclone Tauktae Likely To Intensify Into 'Very Severe Cyclonic' Storm
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Mamata Banerjee: The Wonder Woman As The Masked Crusader
- Used Rioters As ‘Human Weapons’: Delhi Court Denies Bail To Tahir Hussain
- ‘Havan Yagya Can End Covid’: BJP Leader
- Govt, Public Dropped Guard After 1st Covid Wave: Mohan Bhagwat
- Should Covid Patients Take Remdesivir At Home? Here’s What Experts Say
- 'Uljhan' (The Knot) Explores The Chasm Of Class: Ashish Pant
- Non-bailable Warrants Against Sushil
- India footballer Lalpekhlua Patrolling River