Works of legendary storyteller Ruskin Bond, novelist Upamanyu Chatterjee, Betty Trask award winner Anjali Joseph and thriller fiction writers Ashwin Sanghi and Karan Bajaj are among the 30 books shortlisted for the 2010 Vodafone-Crossword Book Awards.
Bond's Mr. Oliver's Diary has been shortlisted in the Children's Writing category along with The Fang Of Summoning (Gita Chandra), Sahyadri Adventure: Anirudh's Dream and Sahyadri Adventure: Koleshwar's Secret (Deepak Dalal), Koni: The Story of a Champion (Moti Mandy) and At Least A Fish (Anushka Ravishankar).
In the English Fiction category, the shortlisted books are Way To Go by Chatterjee, Joseph's Saraswati Park, Quarantine Papers (Kalpish Ratna), Jimmy, The Terrorist (Omair Ahmad) and The Crimson Throne (Sudhir Kakar).
The list was announced here yesterday. The awards will be presented in Mumbai on September 2.
The books shortlisted for English Non Fiction category are Fault Lines (Raghuram Rajan), Known Turf (Annie Zaidi), Memories of a Rolling Stone (Vina Mazumdar), The Tell Tale Brain (V S Ramachandran) and The Lost River (Michel Danino)
On the translations shortlist are The Golden Gandhi Statue From America (Subimal Misra, V Ramaswamy), Manasarovar (Ashokamitran, N Kalyan Raman), This Is Not That Dawn (Yashpal, Anand), Litanies Of Dutch Battery (N S Madhavan, Rajesh Rajmohan) and The House With Five Courtyards (Govind Misra, Massom Ali).
All these awards carry a cash prize of Rs 3 lakh.
Ten fiction and non-fiction works have been shortlisted under a new category - Popular Award in which the winner will get Rs 1 lakh in cash. The shortlisted works in this section are The Immortals Of Meluha Amish), Keep The Change (Nirupama Subramanian), Dork (Sidin Vadukut), Chanakya's Chant (Ashwin Sanghi), Johnny Gone Down (Karan Bajaj), Connect The Dots (Rashmi Bansal), You Can Sell (Shiv Khera), Simply Fly (Captain G R Gopinath), Corporate Chanakya (Radhakrishnan Pillai) and When The Penny Drops (R Gopalakrishnan).
Ruskin, Upamanyu in Crossword Awards Shortlist
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Sri Lanka Bombings That Killed Over 300 People: Report
- Lok Sabha Elections LIVE: 51.15% Total Voter Turnout Till 3:30pm
- SC Sends Notice To Rahul Gandhi Over Rafale Comment, Says Not Satisfied With His Reply
- BLOG | In Politics, Sunny Deol Will Have To Wait For Taarikh After Taarikh To Get Things Done
- SC Seeks Response From Lawyer Bains Who Claimed Conspiracy Against CJI Ranjan Gogoi
- In Politics, Sunny Deol Will Have To Wait For Taarikh After Taarikh To Get Things Done
- Leaders Know Political Rhetoric Needs To Be Entertaining, Otherwise Rallies Are Boring
- Chennai’s Famous Historian S. Muthiah Is No More
- 'Let's Ask The Congress Spokesperson...Wait, Where's The Congress Spokesperson? We Just Lost The Link'
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- The Politics Of Degrees: Is It Important That Leaders Be Well Educated?
- BJP Names Hans Raj Hans For North West Delhi LS Seat, Drops Udit Raj
- PM Modi Planning To Hike Fuel Prices After May 23, Alleges Congress
- WATCH: Water From Rooftop Pool Falls 600 Feet Down Manila Building During Philippines Earthquake
- Prashant Bhushan, Arundhati Roy Seek Independent Inquiry Into Allegations Against CJI Ranjan Gogoi
- A Sustainable Nutrition Revolution Is What India Needs Today!
- Shashi Tharoor Alleges EVM Rigging, Votes Going To 'Lotus'
- Toll Of Indians Killed In Sri Lanka Bombings Rises To 10
- WATCH: Dhoni's Monster Six Off Umesh Yadav Is Officially Season's Biggest