In sync with the recovery in the local equity markets, the Indian rupee today bounced back by closing higher by nine paise at 48.6350/6450 against the US currency on sustained capital inflows.
The domestic currency drew support from bullish equity market where the benchmark Sensex shot up by 240.26 points or 1.48 per cent on foreign funds becoming aggressive buyers.
Rise in other Asian currencies also partly aided the rupee sentiment, said dealers and foreign exchange traders.
Meanwhile, the global crude oil was below the USD 69 a barrel in Asian trade.
In lackadaisical trade at the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market, the domestic unit resumed higher at 48.62/64 a dollar from its last close of 48.73/74 a dollar.
The rupee later moved in a range of 48.55 and 48.69 a dollar.
The Reserve Bank, however, fixed the reference rate for the US dollar at Rs 48.57 and for the euro at Rs 71.06.
Rupee premiums on the forward dollar ended slightly better on stray paying pressure from banks and corporates.
The benchmark six-month forward dollar premium payable in February ended up at 58 - 60 paise from 57-1/2 - 59-1/2 paise on Monday and far-forwards maturing in August also finished higher at 130 - 132 paise from 128 - 130 paise previously.
In cross-currency trade, the local unit improved against the pound and the Japanese yen while declined against the euro.
The rupee shot up against the pound to end at Rs 80.09/11 per euro from Monday's close of Rs 80.58/60 and also moved up against the Japanese Yen to Rs 53.33/35 per 100 yen from Rs 53.65/67 previously.
It, however, softened against the euro to Rs 70.99/71.01 per euro from its last close of Rs 70.90/92.
Rupee Recovers by Over 9 Paise vs Dollar
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Atal Tunnel: FIR Over ‘Missing’ Foundation Stone Laid By Sonia Gandhi
- RCB Vs KKR: Bangalore Hammer Kolkata By 82 Runs
- Madhubani Diary: Dalit Artist Paints A Portrait With Words
- Rhea Chakraborty Urges CBI To Arrest Neighbour For False Statement
- Casteaways: Hathras Throws Up Uncomfortable Questions For BJP
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Bollywood Producers Approach HC, Against Several Media Houses
- 100% Cut Off In DU Admissions
- Indo-US Defence Meet: US Likely To Go Hard On China
- Mumbai: Electricity Restored In Many Parts Of City, CM Orders Probe
- IPL 2020: Faltering CSK Up Against SRH
- Carlton Chapman Dies At 49
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family Members Appear Before HC
- Khushbu Sundar Dropped As Congress Spokesperson, Joins BJP Formally