Notwithstanding concerns over the sliding rupee against the dollar, Finance Secretary R S Gujral today said the depreciation of the Indian currency will ultimately help exporters in the long run.
"The depreciation of Rupee prima-facie would help exporters in terms of higher realisation in terms of rupee... overall in the long term it would help the exporters," he told reporters after the meeting of Board of Trade
(BoT) chaired by Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma.
Referring to the concerns raised by industry captains and others during the meeting, Gujral admitted that the weakening Rupee is hurting importers.
The rupee was trading at 55.92 against the US dollar in at the Interbank Foreign Exchange
Giving details of the BoT, Sharma said "We had a detailed discussion. We looked at all the critical aspects ... (and) critical challenges of the economy".
The minister said suggestions made during the meeting would be reflected in the annual Foreign Trade Policy (FTP) which will be announced on June 5.
"Some suggestions of this meeting will be reflected in the annual Foreign Trade Policy," Sharma said.
On the USD 500 billion export target for 2014, Sharma said "we know it is a challenging target in the wake of deceleration in the western countries and eurozone crisis".
Among others who attended the meeting included, Chanda Kochar (MD, ICICI Bank), Y C Deveshwar (Chairman, ITC) and presidents of three leading chambers --
CII, FICCI and ASSOCHAM.
Some members of the BoT such as Mahindra and Mahindra Group Vice-Chairman Anand
Mahindra, Biocon chief Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, TVS Motors Chairman Venu Srinivasan, Ashok Leyland MD R
Seshasayee, Apollo Tyres CMD Onkar S Kanwar and Hero MotoCorp MD Pawan Munjal, could not attend the meeting.
The BoT is a top advisory body on external trade to the government.
'Rupee Depreciation to Help Exporters in Long Run'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- WADA Suspends India's National Dope Testing Laboratory
- Why Srinagar's High Profile Gupkar Road Is No More A Passage In Paradise
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh