Notwithstanding concerns over the sliding rupee against the dollar, Finance Secretary R S Gujral today said the depreciation of the Indian currency will ultimately help exporters in the long run.
"The depreciation of Rupee prima-facie would help exporters in terms of higher realisation in terms of rupee... overall in the long term it would help the exporters," he told reporters after the meeting of Board of Trade
(BoT) chaired by Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma.
Referring to the concerns raised by industry captains and others during the meeting, Gujral admitted that the weakening Rupee is hurting importers.
The rupee was trading at 55.92 against the US dollar in at the Interbank Foreign Exchange
Giving details of the BoT, Sharma said "We had a detailed discussion. We looked at all the critical aspects ... (and) critical challenges of the economy".
The minister said suggestions made during the meeting would be reflected in the annual Foreign Trade Policy (FTP) which will be announced on June 5.
"Some suggestions of this meeting will be reflected in the annual Foreign Trade Policy," Sharma said.
On the USD 500 billion export target for 2014, Sharma said "we know it is a challenging target in the wake of deceleration in the western countries and eurozone crisis".
Among others who attended the meeting included, Chanda Kochar (MD, ICICI Bank), Y C Deveshwar (Chairman, ITC) and presidents of three leading chambers --
CII, FICCI and ASSOCHAM.
Some members of the BoT such as Mahindra and Mahindra Group Vice-Chairman Anand
Mahindra, Biocon chief Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, TVS Motors Chairman Venu Srinivasan, Ashok Leyland MD R
Seshasayee, Apollo Tyres CMD Onkar S Kanwar and Hero MotoCorp MD Pawan Munjal, could not attend the meeting.
The BoT is a top advisory body on external trade to the government.
'Rupee Depreciation to Help Exporters in Long Run'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- At NDA Meet, PM Narendra Modi Expresses Concern Over 'Needless Controversy' On EVMs
- In Parts Of Odisha, Cylone Fani-Affected People Forced To Repay Loans, Restoration Work Yet To Begin
- ISRO Successfully Launches Satellite RISAT-2B; It Can Take Pictures Under 'Cloudy Conditions'
- 22 Opposition Parties Move Election Commission Over Reports Of EVM Tampering
- CWC 2019: Ravi Shastri Hails 'Fantastic' Communication between Virat Kohli And MS Dhoni
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Arunachal Pradesh MLA Tirong Aboh, 10 Others Killed By Suspected Militants In Tirap
- 'Will Even Take Up Arms To Protect Our Vote Against Rigging:' Upendra Kushwaha On EVM Tampering Row
- Dissent In Model Code Violation Cases Will Not Be Made Public, says EC
- Madhya Pradesh Govt May Reopen Murder Case Involving Pragya Singh Thakur
- No Restriction On Civilian Movement On Jammu-Srinagar Highway From May 27
- Karnataka Congress Leader Appeals Muslims To 'Join Hands' With BJP If Need Arises
- Saradha Case: SC Rejects Former Kolkata Top Cop Rajeev Kumar's Plea
- Anil Ambani's Reliance To Withdraw Rs 5,000-Crore Defamation Suit Against Congress Leaders