Amid a public outcry over light sentence given to a former Haryana DGP convicted of molesting a minor girl, the complainant's counsel today said they will soon move the Supreme Court seeking enhancement of punishment and trial of the ex-top cop on charges of abetment to suicide.
S P S Rathore was on Monday sentenced to six months of rigorous
imprisonment for molesting 14-year-old Ruchika, a budding tennis
player, in 1990 when he was Inspector General of Police. The girl
committed suicide three years later.
Pankaj Bhardwaj, a lawyer for Madhu Parkash, the mother of the victim's
friend whose family had been fighting the case all these years, said
they will seek trial of Rathore for abetment to suicide -- a charge
under which he was not tried.
Bhardwaj said they will seek harsher punishment for the former top cop.
Ruchika's family says that they were harassed after the complaint was
lodged, with the girl being expelled from her school and false cases
being slapped against her brother.
Asked why the police officer was not tried for abetment to suicide
after Ruchika's death on December 29, 1993, Bhardwaj said, "When the
premier investigating agency CBI itself does not prosecute Rathore for
the offence under section 306 IPC, what can one do?"
According to the order of the Chandigarh CBI Magistrate, the probe
agency had sought trial under section 354 of the IPC relating to
Rathore was served a notice only in relation to Section 354 on March
17, 2003 to which he pleaded not guilty and claimed regular trial which
lasted about six years, according to the order.
As per documents accessed by PTI, Rathore was initially booked for
offences under Section 354 (molestation) and Section 509 (word, gesture
or act intended to insult the modesty of woman) in FIR No 516 dated
December 29, 1999 registered at the Panchkula police station.
The case was registered following the direction of the Punjab and
Haryana High Court on August 21, 1999 on a petition moved by Madhu
Parkash. The Supreme Court had on December 14, 1990 upheld the High
After Ruchika committed suicide by consuming poison on December 29, 1993, the case was transferred to CBI.
The chargesheet was presented in the court of the Special Judicial
Magistrate, CBI, Ambala on November 17, 2000. Rathore was ordered to be
summoned for the offence under Section 354 as per another order of the
According to the document, an application for addition of offence of
abetment to suicide was moved by Madhu Prakash on October 8, 2001. The
application was allowed by the CBI court vide an order dated October
23, 2001 and the court started the proceedings for commitment of the
But a criminal revision petition was filed by the accused in the Punjab
and Haryana High Court. The revision was accepted by the High Court on
February 12, 2002.
Thereafter, Rathore was served notice of accusation only under Section 354 on March 17, 2003.
Ruchika Case: Lawyer Says will Move SC for Abetment Trial
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- White House Says Trump Will Discuss Kashmir, Human Rights With PM Modi At G-7 Summit
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Rahane Comes To IND's Rescue After Top Order Collapse Vs WI
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Why Srinagar's High Profile Gupkar Road Is No More A Passage In Paradise
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Kashmir Is Bilateral Issue, No Third-Party Should 'Incite' Violence In Region: French President Macron
- 1st Test, Highlights: Rahane, Rahul Saves Day 1 Blushes For India Against West Indies
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- WADA Suspends India's National Dope Testing Laboratory
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Ashes, 3rd Test, Day 1: AUS All Out For 179 Vs ENG