The Rashtriya Swayayamsewak Sangh (RSS) today demanded intervention of Centre to resolve the crisis in Manipur.
"It was highly deplorable to shut both the national highways to Manipur for last 17 days while opposing the entry of NSCN-IM leader T Muivah in Manipur", RSS General Secretary Bhaiyyaji Joshi said in a statement here today.
About 25 lakh people in Manipur are hit by the closure of national highways. Prices of essential commodities including rice, pulses, floor, diesel, petrol and kerosenes are skyrocketing. Dimapur-Imphal NH 39 and Jiribam-Imphal NH 53 are closed since April 11, he said.
"I therefore urge the Centre and state to initiate immediate steps to reopen the closed national highways. Some years ago, Centre intervened to reopen the Jammu-Srinagar national highways within 48 hours, Joshi recalled. It was surprising that though the people of Manipur were suffering, Central Government was keeping mum, he said.
Manipur was facing another crisis as some militant organisations have threatened to non-Manipuri people to leave the state before May 31. Their demand is unconstitutional and against national interest. RSS has demanded security to all the citizens of Manipur, Joshi said.
Manipur is in turmoil since April. First, Naga groups residing in Manipur enforced an indefinite economic blockade April 11 protesting the state government’s decision to hold autonomous council elections and then since May 6 over the state government refusing permission to Naga separatist leader Thuingaleng Muivah to visit his ancestral village in Manipur’s Ukhrul district.
RSS Demands Central Intervention in Manipur Crisis
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh
- Live, Windies v India, 1st Test, Day 1: Rahul, Rahane Revive IND
- 'Yeh Mauka Ka Khel Hai' - Sehwag Wants Rohit To Get Long Run In Tests