The Rashtriya Swayayamsewak Sangh (RSS) today demanded intervention of Centre to resolve the crisis in Manipur.
"It was highly deplorable to shut both the national highways to Manipur for last 17 days while opposing the entry of NSCN-IM leader T Muivah in Manipur", RSS General Secretary Bhaiyyaji Joshi said in a statement here today.
About 25 lakh people in Manipur are hit by the closure of national highways. Prices of essential commodities including rice, pulses, floor, diesel, petrol and kerosenes are skyrocketing. Dimapur-Imphal NH 39 and Jiribam-Imphal NH 53 are closed since April 11, he said.
"I therefore urge the Centre and state to initiate immediate steps to reopen the closed national highways. Some years ago, Centre intervened to reopen the Jammu-Srinagar national highways within 48 hours, Joshi recalled. It was surprising that though the people of Manipur were suffering, Central Government was keeping mum, he said.
Manipur was facing another crisis as some militant organisations have threatened to non-Manipuri people to leave the state before May 31. Their demand is unconstitutional and against national interest. RSS has demanded security to all the citizens of Manipur, Joshi said.
Manipur is in turmoil since April. First, Naga groups residing in Manipur enforced an indefinite economic blockade April 11 protesting the state government’s decision to hold autonomous council elections and then since May 6 over the state government refusing permission to Naga separatist leader Thuingaleng Muivah to visit his ancestral village in Manipur’s Ukhrul district.
RSS Demands Central Intervention in Manipur Crisis
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Police Lodged FIR Against Hawkers, Shopkeepers In Nizamuddin, But Ignored Markaz Masjid Gathering
- Around 400 COVID-19 Cases Have Link To Tablighi Jamaat: Health Ministry
- Opting For 3 Month Moratorium On Repayment Of Term Loans? Get Ready To Pay More
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack: Bringing Back Sikhs Could Damage Indo-Afghan Ties
- Pandemics Down The Ages: Starting From Typhoid In Ancient Greece To Covid-19
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Truckloads Of Pineapples Rot Outside Many States As Demand Nosedives
- Domicile Law Triggers More Worries In J&K Amid Coronavirus Crisis
- Around 9,000 Tablighi Jamaat Members, Their Contacts Quarantined: MHA
- PM Modi To Share Video Message With People At 9 AM Friday
- Can India Feed Itself During Lockdown? Consumer Affairs Secy Answers
- COVID-19: Gambhir Vows To Contribute Two Years' Salary To PM CARES Fund
- Challenging Task Of Tracking 'Missing' Tablighi Jamaat Returnees In TN
- Virat Kohli Reveals Lowest Point Of His Career In Tell-All Interview