A day after eminent citizens, mainly the industry leaders expressed dismay over "governance deficit" in India, the government today asserted that its reforms agenda, though incremental will dispel the perception.
"It is not a question of governance deficit. Yes, the perception, if it is there, the government policy and initiatives will dispel that and create a positive environment for growth," Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said after his interaction with well-known industry leaders here.
Sharma presided over a meeting of the Board of Trade (BoT) which includes exporters and corporate honchos. The meeting was attended by TVS Motors Chairman Venu Srinivasan, ITC Chairman Y C Deveshwar, Apollo Tyres Chairman and Managing Director Onkar S Kanwar and FIEO chief Ramu S Deora.
Sharma said that the government "has an abiding commitment for incremental reforms agenda which will be reflected in some of the policy decisions which are in the final stages of consideration".
Earlier in the day, he said the government was "seriously" considering raising FDI cap in the single brand retail from 51 per cent.
Sharma's deputy, Jyotiraditya Scindia too said "you will see a number of decisions being taken" in the near future.
In an open letter to political leaders yesterday, a group of prominent citizens including industry leaders like Azim Premji, Deepak Parekh, Jamshyd Godrej and Keshub Mahindra expressed concern over "the growing governance deficit".
However, Sharma accepted "When it comes to investment and comfort of doing business with India, I think this country needs to do more. ...Delays and red tapes make it difficult even for domestic investors," he said.
Reform to Dispel Governance Deficit Perception: Govt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh
- Live, Windies v India, 1st Test, Day 1: Rahul, Rahane Revive IND
- 'Yeh Mauka Ka Khel Hai' - Sehwag Wants Rohit To Get Long Run In Tests