A day after eminent citizens, mainly the industry leaders expressed dismay over "governance deficit" in India, the government today asserted that its reforms agenda, though incremental will dispel the perception.
"It is not a question of governance deficit. Yes, the perception, if it is there, the government policy and initiatives will dispel that and create a positive environment for growth," Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said after his interaction with well-known industry leaders here.
Sharma presided over a meeting of the Board of Trade (BoT) which includes exporters and corporate honchos. The meeting was attended by TVS Motors Chairman Venu Srinivasan, ITC Chairman Y C Deveshwar, Apollo Tyres Chairman and Managing Director Onkar S Kanwar and FIEO chief Ramu S Deora.
Sharma said that the government "has an abiding commitment for incremental reforms agenda which will be reflected in some of the policy decisions which are in the final stages of consideration".
Earlier in the day, he said the government was "seriously" considering raising FDI cap in the single brand retail from 51 per cent.
Sharma's deputy, Jyotiraditya Scindia too said "you will see a number of decisions being taken" in the near future.
In an open letter to political leaders yesterday, a group of prominent citizens including industry leaders like Azim Premji, Deepak Parekh, Jamshyd Godrej and Keshub Mahindra expressed concern over "the growing governance deficit".
However, Sharma accepted "When it comes to investment and comfort of doing business with India, I think this country needs to do more. ...Delays and red tapes make it difficult even for domestic investors," he said.
Reform to Dispel Governance Deficit Perception: Govt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay High Court Grants Her Bail
- KKR Vs CSK LIVE: Mavi Removes Faf; Chennai 32/1 (4)
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- The SSR Mega Serial: How TV Media Put Original Family Dramas To Shame
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- KKR Vs CSK: Jadeja, Faf Pull Off Most Stunning Catch - WATCH
- FIR Against Sachin Pilot's Media Manager For Reporting 'Phone Tapping'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Rafa On Attack, Says It's The Only Way