A Pakistani court today summoned cricketer Shoaib Malik to appear before it on May 3 in connection with a petition that alleged he had "sold" invitation cards for a reception to celebrate his wedding to Indian tennis star Sania Mirza.
Additional Sessions Judge Malik Rafiq of the court in Lahore admitted the petition filed by a man named Safdar Ali, who alleged the cricketer was selling invitation cards for his 'walima' (reception) on April 27 for Rs 15,000 (about USD 200) each.
The judge listed the matter for hearing on May 3 and directed Shoaib to appear before him on that date.
Ali, who described himself as a fan of Shoaib, said he had taken leave from work on April 27 to witness the walima.
"But then I found out that Shoaib is selling invitation cards for the event for Rs 15,000. He has hurt thousands of fans with his actions. He had made his wedding a business," Ali alleged.
In a separate development, a man named Hasan Sheraz filed another petition in the Lahore High Court in which he alleged that Shoaib had violated a ban on serving more than one dish at marriage functions and the government’s order for such events to be concluded by 10 pm.
Sheraz further alleged that a ban on using decorative lights at wedding functions had also been violated during a reception hosted for Shoaib and Sania in the cricketer’s hometown of Sialkot last night.
"Cricketer Shaoib Malik has committed both violations. The reception in honour of the couple at Sialkot hockey stadium continued till midnight and decorative lights were used in abundance," Sheraz contended.
He asked the court to penalise Shoaib for flouting the government's orders.
The government of Punjab province last year imposed a bar on serving more than one dish at wedding functions as part of a series of austerity measures.
The federal government recently imposed strict restrictions of the use of electricity as the country is grappling with a crippling energy shortage.
Reception Row: Pak Court Summons Shoaib Malik
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Mehbooba Mufti To Attend Meeting Of Gupkar Declaration Signatories
- DC Vs RR: Delhi Choke Rajasthan After Dhawan, Iyer Fifties
- SP Leader Mulayam Singh Yadav Tests COVID Positive
- Shotgun's Actor-Son Luv Sinha To Contest From Patna On Congress Ticket
- The Silence Of The Dalit Politician
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Nortje Bowls Fastest Delivery In IPL
- 'When We Return To Power, Will Put Back Sonia's Plaque At Tunnel'
- 15 Die As Heavy Rains Lash Hyderabad; People Asked To Stay Indoors
- Himachal Speaker Tests COVID-19 Positive
- We Are Looking At Various Promotions To Attract Viewers: Sanjeev Bijli Of PVR
- Apple Launches New iPhone 12 Series, To Be Shipped Without Adapters
- Old Law Machine Seeks A New Engine
- Kagiso Rabada Reserves Special Praise For Debutant Tushar Deshpande