Veteran Tamil film director K Balachander today described as "proudest moment" of his life the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for which he was chosen for his contribution to cinema.
"This is an occasion to cherish and the proudest moment of my life," he told reporters in his brief reaction.
He thanked all his colleagues in his career.
The latest award will be an addition to the kitty of the 80-year-old director, who already has a slew of recognitions including National awards and state government accolades to his credit.
Fondly addressed as KB and respected by one and all of the Tamil cinema industry as well as in other parts, the ace filmmaker is credited with launching two of the biggest entertainers of Tamil cinema, Rajnikant and Kamal Hassan.
The director was known for his rebellious films especially on women-oriented themes including Aval Oru Thodarkathai, Arangetram and Kalki among others.
Besides these social-oriented flicks, others such as Bhama Vijayam and Thillu Mullu, both comedy-based films, touched instant chord with the audiences.
Recognizing the huge potential of the small screen, KB was one of the early birds that made a plunge into teleserials and churned out some of the most memorable ones like Kai Alavu Manasu, Rail Sneham, Premi, Kadhal Pagadai, Kasalavu Nesam and Sahana.
Receiving Phalke Award Proudest Moment: Balachander
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi Arrives In France For G7 Summit; Kashmir, Trade On Agenda
- Sindhu Smashes Okuhara, 1st Indian To Win World Badminton Title
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- WI Vs IND, 1st Test: Rahane, Bumrah Star As India Hammer West Indies
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Rahul Gandhi Shares Video Of Srinagar Visit, Attacks 'Draconian Administration' Of Jammu And Kashmir
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- 3rd Test: Ashes On Fire As ENG Level Series
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India