With gold imports contributing substantially to India's current account deficit (CAD), an RBI panel is looking into the aspects of devising some alternative routes, a top official of the central bank said today.
"Gold imports are contributing substantially to India's current account deficit," RBI Deputy Governor Anand Sinha said on the sidelines of an event here.
He said, "Import is one aspect and the other is bringing out the gold which is already existing in the country.
"Whether it can be brought out to satisfy the demand by devising appropriate financial instruments has to be seen. Several proposals are there. There is a committee looking into these aspects," Sinha told reporters.
The country's CAD, which is the difference between total imports & transfers and total exports, widened to the highest ever level to 4.5 per cent of GDP at USD 21.7 billion in January-March period of 2011-12.
To a query, he said that the draft guidelines on new banking licences have been circulated.
Sinha said that RBI would proceed further once the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill was through. After that, RBI would finalise the guidelines.
Regarding shareholding by foreign banks, he said that it has been already mentioned in the draft guidelines that it would be 49 per cent in the initial years.
After that, it would be usual as per normal FDI rules, Sinha added.
RBI Panel Looking Into Alternative to Gold Imports
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India To Return Chinese Soldier Who 'Strayed' Across LAC
- As Everything Goes Virtual In Pandemic, So Does Dating
- ED Questions Farooq Abdullah, NC Says Political Vendetta After Gupkar Resolution
- Medical Insurance Companies Wash Their Hands Off Covid Claims
- Struggling Chennai, Rajasthan Eye Win To Keep Hopes Alive
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Kerala HC Dismisses State Govt's Plea Against Lease Of Trivandrum Airport
- Reforms Being Introduced In All Sectors To Ensure Growth: PM Modi
- Pandals In Bengal To Be No-Entry Zones For Visitors, Orders Calcutta HC
- Six-Year-Old Accused Of 'Sexual Assault' In UP’s Aligarh
- Bollywood Is Not A Welfare State: Pankaj Tripathi
- Indian-American Teen Wins $25,000 Prize For Potential COVID-19 Treatment
- Anil Kumble Effect: For Kings XI Punjab, It's About Process, Not Result
- Super Super Over Win For Punjab Is Poetic Justice For KL Rahul