NCP MLA Dilip Wagh, facing charges of raping a 20-year-old girl, was remanded in police custody till March 3 along with his personal assistant and co-accused Mahesh Mali who was arrested today.
Amid tight security, Wagh and Mali alias Bunty, who was picked up by Sarkarwada police here, were produced before Judge A S Nalge who sent them to police custody.
Wagh, who representing Pachora in neighbouring Jalgaon district and was arrested yesterday from Mumbai, was earlier brought here by local police at 2 am and taken to Nashik civil hospital as he complained of ill-health, police said.
The girl from Pathardi, Ahmednagar district, who had alleged that Wagh and Mali called her to Nashik promising to give her a job and had raped her on February 21 at a government guest house here, was today taken to Aurangabad by the Nashik police for investigation into the charges.
She had lodged the FIR on February 25 in which she claimed that she had first met Wagh in Aurangabad, where the MLA promised to arrange a job for her.
The victim, who was accompanied by Assistant Police Inspector Swapnali Shinde and Inspector Manohar Dabhade, was taken to several places, police said.
The police team visited her residence as well as the educational institute, where the victim worked as a security guard.
The police also quizzed her neighbours in Aurangabad. Later, the police team returned to Nashik along with the victim.
The girl has undergone a medical test which confirmed "sexual intercourse" with her, police had said.
Terming Wagh's arrest as a conspiracy by the legislator's detracttors, his brother Sanjay Wagh alleged that the girl had been "influenced".
"This is a conspiracy.... The report was filed on February 25, four days after the alleged incident. The victim has been influenced," Sanjay said.
The NCP had yesterday suspended Wagh from the party.
Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil, who is also from NCP, said the lawmaker will be treated as per the law.
"The law is the same for everyone. We have asked police to look into this closely," he said.
Rape Case: After NCP MLA Dilip Wagh, His PA Arrested
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 18 Students Of Coaching Class Killed As Massive Fire Engulfs Surat Building
- Narendra Modi: The Bachchan of Screen and Kohli on Field
- Opinion | History Will Judge Modi Govt On How It Handles Critical Issues
- The Rise And Fall Of Pawan Chamling, India’s Longest Serving Chief Minister
- Movie Review | Forget Politics, PM Biopic Tells How Dev Anand Influenced Modi To Take To Sanyas
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May Announces Resignation After Brexit Backlash
- After LS Debacle, Slew Of Resignations On Congress Table; Rahul Too Likely To Quit
- YS Jaganmohan Reddy – Andhra's Giant Killer
- China Welcomes Modi, Imran Khan Exchange Of Greetings
- 'Gear Up For Assembly Polls, We Will Get Majority In J&K,' NC Chief Farooq Abdullah To Party Workers
- In Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati's BSP Lone Gainer Among Grand Alliance Constituents
- PM Modi Tenders Resignation Of Council Of Ministers, To Continue in Office Till Oath Ceremony
- After LS Poll Drubbing, Karnataka Cabinet Reposes Faith In Kumaraswamy